News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any relic hunters here?

Started by MISSISSIPPI Double beard, February 28, 2019, 10:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

Quote from: coyote1 on February 28, 2019, 11:53:38 PM

I have always been interested in the civil war , read everything I can get my hands on.

Just finishing up the last of the four volume "Battles and Leaders of the Civil War".  What a brutal war.  I just can't understand why the northern states refused to let the South go in peace.  The war was so costly in lives and material and the war bears much responsibility for the big government problems we face stil today.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

WALKER80

Yes sir, my boy and I walk fields all summer long looking for arrow heads.  Central MS

Jrkimbrough

Very cool!  I hunt a place just outside of a southern town that has a lot of Civil War history and was told they had a small battle on the very place I hunt.  I think one of the caretakers has found a few things but I'm always looking in creek beds while hunting.

Gobspur

I found this on a sand bar one day in Mississippi.

We've got quite a collection of points found on our family farm in Indiana.  Granddad said they also use to have a 5 gallon bucket on the front porch that they would throw them in.  Was supposedly 3/4 full and they came home one day in the 60s and it was gone.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: Gobspur on March 01, 2019, 07:39:42 PM

We've got quite a collection of points found on our family farm in Indiana.  Granddad said they also use to have a 5 gallon bucket on the front porch that they would throw them in.  Was supposedly 3/4 full and they came home one day in the 60s and it was gone.

In this context it is immediately recognizable as a point, however laying on a sand bar along a stream, I'd never see it for what it is. Wish I was more in tune with seeing these.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Gobspur

Quote from: paboxcall on March 01, 2019, 07:50:30 PM
Quote from: Gobspur on March 01, 2019, 07:39:42 PM

In this context it is immediately recognizable as a point, however laying on a sand bar along a stream, I'd never see it for what it is. Wish I was more in tune with seeing these.
Me neither.  I only noticed it because my boot kicked it and of course sounded different than the sand and gravel.  Looked down and it was clear as day.

3bailey3

I am really bad about walking with my head down looking. I have walk up on some birds because I was looking down, when I found the US buckle I had been hunting for a few weeks and I was wore out I was driving out and I saw it laying on the ground beside a road in a huge field we had on our lease and I didn't stop. the next day after getting beat up by some gobblers again, I take the same road out and see it again and keep on driving, about 20 yards after I pass it I slam on brakes and walk back to it, I could not believe it.

LaLongbeard

Finding arrow heads by walking up on them takes a lot of luck. When creeks washout there banks after a flood you can sometimes get lucky. This picture is an old cave that was used as a campsite, it is in a hill above a creek and the hillside is steep while there's a flat spot at the cave. You can see the black rock were campfires were made next to the opening. I'm sure a lot of animals used the cave as well, it has a small entrance but opens up inside to almost standing height 4-5 people could probably sleep inside. I've found several pieces of arrow heads were they must have been making them and culled the ones that broke. All the good relics were taken long before I found this place.
There's another campsite several miles from this one  in some thick woods along a creek. Another overhanging cave and on the ground  are perfectly round bowl shaped holes chipped into the rock of the cave floor. I was told they used them to grind up acorns, roots etc. I need to take some pics of that place also
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

eggshell

I used to collect arrowheads/spear points, axes, pendants and such. Our home farm was in prime Indian territory here in southern Ohio. One of the largest mounds anywhere is 1/2 mile from the home place. There are tons of old camp sites. For years the archeologist that were digging the sites in our area rented a house off us and my mom cooked for them. I saw a lot of really nice stuff. I had over 500 pieces at one time and someone finally offered me a price I couldn't turn down and I sold them all but my best two pieces and I still have them. Now my daughter is a museum curator out west and I am leaving what I have to her. I have seen their store rooms and the stuff they have is amazing. Like cut-n-run said no one deep plows anymore and stuff is hard to find. Every once in a while a bank will wash off the river and expose camp middlings of points, awes and pottery shards. some nice looking stuff guys. My best piece ever is a highly polished black granite celt with markings. My biggest heart break was finding half of a double winged atlatal weight (butterfly banner stone)  out of banded slate.

Sixes

I do a little metal detecting, never found nothing much other than coins and old jar lids.

I've collected indian stuff for years, but haven't looked much the last few years.

coyote1

Quote from: silvestris on March 01, 2019, 10:15:17 AM

I have always been interested in the civil war , read everything I can get my hands on.

Just finishing up the last of the four volume "Battles and Leaders of the Civil War".  What a brutal war.  I just can't understand why the northern states refused to let the South go in peace.  The war was so costly in lives and material and the war bears much responsibility for the big government problems we face stil today.

I wholeheartedly agree. The war should have never been fought, shows how powerful people/government can influence folks.

Hank Jr. (If the south would have won we would have it made) he's right. I can guarantee the government wouldn't to so big and out of control.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: coyote1 on March 02, 2019, 12:06:59 PM
Quote from: silvestris on March 01, 2019, 10:15:17 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. The war should have never been fought, shows how powerful people/government can influence folks.

Hank Jr. (If the south would have won we would have it made) he's right. I can guarantee the government wouldn't to so big and out of control.
The United States had already fought off the French and English and beat back  the natives  they were not about to let the Southern States start another country which could have allied with any number of other country's and attempted to over throw the US. The North knew the South did not have the resources or man power to sustain a war the time was right to stop it when they did. Giving the South time to amass an army maybe even a foreign aided army was not in there best interests.
As far as the South being any less corrupt than Washington that is a joke if the politicians in Louisiana were any more crooked they'd have to be screwed in the ground when they died. They do any and everything they want to do now right under the watch of the US government giving them full power would not help the people I can assure you.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Clydetaylor1

Used to find them in the fields. It's like Jim said though they don't plow fields anymore. Have not found any in a few years.

Cut N Run

There didn't used to as much competition out looking for points as there is these days either.  Finding arrowheads shifted from hobby collectors to commodity dealers to some degree. The internet contributes to that too.  You can find dozens of artifact dealers who buy old collections at auctions and sell them by the piece.  Their property, they can do as they please, I just hate to see it happen. Once some folks started collecting by using bank accounts to buy them and not using boot leather to find points on their own, the demand went higher and so did prices.  I have displayed some of my points and artifacts at artifact shows many times, and without fail, somebody approaches me offering money for my nice, rare, and older points.  I consider them the reward for having spent the time looking for them.  I can make money any day, why would I give up points that I cherish which bring great memories for cash that anybody can make?  Just how I see it.

Of course, once I'm gone, who knows what will become of them?  It won't matter to me by then anyway I guess.

One guy I used to arrowhead hunt with would sell his finds almost immediately once he got home.  I stopped prospecting new fields with him because he'd visit the ones we found on his own without me or permission to go there.  When I would return to places I used to look, my old footprints used to be the only ones in the field.  That guy would take others with him to look when I wasn't there and the next time I'd go back, there would be more footprints than points, pottery shards, & chips.  I quit hunting with him to save my sanity more than anything. All those fields are so picked over these days, they're barely worth looking.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

ManfromGreenSwamp

Quote from: Cut N Run on March 03, 2019, 11:24:56 AM
There didn't used to as much competition out looking for points as there is these days either.  Finding arrowheads shifted from hobby collectors to commodity dealers to some degree. The internet contributes to that too.  You can find dozens of artifact dealers who buy old collections at auctions and sell them by the piece.  Their property, they can do as they please, I just hate to see it happen. Once some folks started collecting by using bank accounts to buy them and not using boot leather to find points on their own, the demand went higher and so did prices.  I have displayed some of my points and artifacts at artifact shows many times, and without fail, somebody approaches me offering money for my nice, rare, and older points.  I consider them the reward for having spent the time looking for them.  I can make money any day, why would I give up points that I cherish which bring great memories for cash that anybody can make?  Just how I see it.

Of course, once I'm gone, who knows what will become of them?  It won't matter to me by then anyway I guess.

One guy I used to arrowhead hunt with would sell his finds almost immediately once he got home.  I stopped prospecting new fields with him because he'd visit the ones we found on his own without me or permission to go there.  When I would return to places I used to look, my old footprints used to be the only ones in the field.  That guy would take others with him to look when I wasn't there and the next time I'd go back, there would be more footprints than points, pottery shards, & chips.  I quit hunting with him to save my sanity more than anything. All those fields are so picked over these days, they're barely worth looking.

Jim
Artifact hunter here when not chasing gobblers. Enjoyed reading your thread!
Central FLA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button