OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any relic hunters here?

Started by MISSISSIPPI Double beard, February 28, 2019, 10:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I have found the occasional arrowhead while hunting deer and turkey. One day though after a long hot turkey hunt a friend and I stopped on an old fence line to take a break. I barely noticed what was on the ground at our feet. I guess because I was hot. My friend said, looky here, someone dropped some muzzle loading bullets. He thought they were modern bullets. I looked and he had picked up 2 bullets for sure. They were bullets, but they were from 1864. I did not know the history of the area we were hunting. I wasn't into history much but I had a brother that was. After showing my brother what we found he went back with a metal detector and found several more bullets. I guess he didn't think much was there so he didn't go back. The next year I started researching the war between the states and battles and how they fought. So About a year later I purchased a metal detector and went back. I found several more bullets, a spoon, harmonica reeds and what is pictured. It kinda made my brother jealous! LOL. I thought I would share a little history from the battle of Okolona.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Sir-diealot

I love history, my interest tends to go from the Revolutionary War, The French and Indian Wars and on back. I can still appreciate a good treasure hunt though. I would have found the bullets most interesting being that I shoot muzzle loaders myself.

I have started a very small collection of belt buckles now that I have lost enough weight that I can wear them though so this is neat to me as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

PSEoutlaw07

That is really neat, I have done some reenactments and I would love to find something like this

3bailey3

here is one I found close to the battle of Raymond that I would gladly trade you Don

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: PSEoutlaw07 on February 28, 2019, 10:45:43 PM
That is really neat, I have done some reenactments and I would love to find something like this
This is what got me into reenacting. I don't anymore though.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 28, 2019, 11:00:19 PM
here is one I found close to the battle of Raymond that I would gladly trade you Don

Very nice, I have been to Raymond a couple of times. We had a huge reenactment there. 1998 I believe.

aclawrence

Awesome finds. I've done a little metal detecting but haven't found anything super cool with it. Aquachigger is a cool channel on YouTube for you metal detector/ civil war / history guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coyote1

Very cool stuff to find. I bet that area is full of neat treasures.

I have always been interested in the civil war , read everything I can get my hands on.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Cut N Run

Cool finds.  I hunt for stone arrowheads & spear points, though not as much as I used to.  There's not as much deep plowing for tobacco going on these days as it used to be, making finding artifacts more difficult.

The oldest spear point I found is from around 12,000 B.C. and the most modern arrowhead I've found is from around 1,750 A.D.  People have lived around here for a long time.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Gobbler428

Really nice points. I have found several here in SC but not anything as nice as your collection. I'm still looking for that elusive "Clovis Point" would love to find one!

J.D. Shellnut

Ive found a pretty good bit of arrows heads. But nothing civil war. That belt buckle is awesome!!!! A buddy of mine thought he civil war bullet. But come to find another guy in the camp was a traditionalist! lol
60% of the time it works every time!

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: Gobbler428 on March 01, 2019, 08:08:57 AM
  Really nice points. I have found several here in SC but not anything as nice as your collection. I'm still looking for that elusive "Clovis Point" would love to find one!
I have one clovis point. I found it in a creek.

LaLongbeard

I've found several "arrow heads" which were really Atlatal points or spear points only  the very tiny ones you find are the actual arrow heads. It's rare to find them nowadays. My Grandpa found hundreds but he knew were they had camps and even burial mounds. I know it's wrong to dig thru burial grounds but back then it was common. When my grandpa was a boy the massive clearcutting of the state had taken  place and you could see across miles of land. All the old campsites and burial mounds were easy to find as well as family cemeteries. Now the woods have come back and very few know we're these areas are
Not a lot of Civil war battles here but I've talked to a few old timers that found cannon  balls in  the 2" dia size years ago.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

GregN

Really neat story.... Finding relics and understanding the history of the items is the interesting part.  I hv a buddy who digs out outhouses in the Philly area....he finds all kinds of neat revolutionary era pieces... Bottles, ink wells, pottery, pipes, buttons, cutlery. Etc

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk