OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choosing the best morning for listening

Started by aclawrence, February 27, 2019, 04:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Hey guys, I know the obvious answer to my question is to go any chance you get but... If you could only squeak out one morning during a week to run out to a hunting area and listen for birds what are some of the things you would look for as far as concerning a weather forecast?  Assuming you could take one morning any day of the week, what factors are influencing your decision on which day to go?  Temperature, pressure, cloudy or sunshine, rainy etc?  I know from my hunting experience it's a little bit of a crap shoot because sometimes you would swear they would be sounding off and their not.  Have ya'll noticed any patterns? 

dirt road ninja

light winds, can hear further. Usually if the winds are light the rest of the weather is fairly stable.

turkeymanjim

High barometric pressure i feel means so much for hearing birds gobble.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

notsure

Any day you don't have to navigate 5' snow drifts.

Spitten and drummen

I like a crisp cool morning , star filled sky with little to nowind.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

nyhunter

Quote from: notsure on February 27, 2019, 04:51:02 PM

:TooFunny:  :character0029: sooooo true... :bike2:

On a serious note i'd say calm to light wind's. 

aclawrence

Quote from: notsure on February 27, 2019, 04:51:02 PM

Luckily that want be a problem for me here in Alabama!

Happy

A calm, slightly overcast day. Preferably after a few not so nice days.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ozarks Hillbilly

I front of a Thunderstorm. If you want to hear birds gobble that may not gobble again all season. Always amazed at how many birds will shock gobble at a clap of thunder that may never gobble otherwise.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

guesswho

If there's dew on my windshield it usually turns out to be a decent gobbling day.  That's about as scientific as I can get.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3bailey3

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

appalachianassassin

Every year I see days I think they will gobble a lot but they don't and vise versa. I generally listen every day a month prior to the season.

GobbleNut

After many decades of doing this, I am still clueless as to what makes them gobble better from one day to the next.  I have been witness to many consecutive mornings where the conditions seemed to be exactly the same,...and on one morning they would be gobbling from every direction and the next morning you wouldn't hear a peep. 

As others have said, just get out there as often as you can and hope you hit it right once in a while.

Kylongspur88