OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Halloran Box calls

Started by Gen.27:3, February 26, 2019, 07:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen.27:3

Hey guys, I am a big fan of David's pot calls. However, I have never tried his box calls. Do you guys have any experience with his box calls? I am specifically looking at either his Purple Heart and Cedar or the Ebony and Walnut.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

turkeymanjim

I have a purple heart and cedar that fooled a few longbeards.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NeverRoosting

Quote from: Gen.27:3 on February 26, 2019, 07:15:38 PM
Hey guys, I am a big fan of David's pot calls. However, I have never tried his box calls. Do you guys have any experience with his box calls? I am specifically looking at either his Purple Heart and Cedar or the Ebony and Walnut.

I use to own 6 different combos.  I think they are really good calls for beginners that aren't use to running a box as the heavy lid makes for easy of running, but they don't have a ton of different turkey in them and are louder calls, as they don't play too soft like the dawkins/Watkins/lapp/Williams.  But at $100-$130 they are a fairly good buy.  I love David's older pots that he came out with like the crystal mistress, twisted sister, cracklin crystal, compared to his new stuff.  Last year at Nashville I ran everything he had at his booth both new pots and the classics and I didn't think the crystal mistresses and twisted sisters he was selling there compared to the older crystal mistress and twisted sister I own...something seemed to be missing in the pot, they didn't have quite the life and pop in them.  Part of me wonders if his new CNC machine he got around two years ago does as good of a job as his old one.

Thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it. One more question, is there another box call in the same price range and without a waiting list that you would recommend over the Halloran?
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

nyhunter

vt35mag

If you go with Halloran I'd recommend the purpleheart over cedar, especially if you like a raspy barky yelp.
Otherwise I would reach out to the SS boys and talk to them about yellowheart over limba, persimmon over limba, or kwila over butternut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

In the 125 dollar price range do yourself a favor and contact Jeff Mckamey for outstanding box .. his are tuned on both sides and run really easy and smooth ... and you can thank me later ....

Thanks, guys I appreciate your thoughts!!

NeverRoosting

Bowguy

Regarding Hallorans boxes, they're good and easy to play. I also agree w SS. Al is a real good man to deal with and his calls are excellent.  Saw McKamey was thrown in. Never had his short boxes but his long boxes are fantastic

I ordered a Bloodwood and Black Limba checkered box from Jeff White. I am also probably going to order a box from twisting creek.

Jeff White was very quick to respond to my questions and very helpful throughout the ordering process. I am excited to give his box a try. But I also want to add one more custom box to my arsenal as well, so keep your suggestions coming. Thanks for your help guys!

wolfman

Albert Paul

I'm waiting on one from Jeff M.  Not sure how long his wait is but it's been about 4 months.

SwampChickenSC

Quote from: NeverRoosting on February 26, 2019, 09:20:34 PM
Quote from: nyhunter on February 26, 2019, 08:41:08 PM
Jeff White, or  S.S

I'll second this and throw in Irvin Whitt

I'll second Irving Whitt, he makes some fine boxes
"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

turkey stew

SSCustom calls. Al will run you some calls and they deliver without a long wait time.

TauntoHawk

i am very pleased with my Halloran Box like most of his calls they seem tuned to be run loud and aggressive.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>