turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Crow call

Started by Turkeyslayer7, February 25, 2019, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I remember a particular bird that I located pre season.  He would not gobble at an owl, but would respond everytime to a crow call....darndest thing...he and I now have regular conversations while in my easy chair and he on his roost limb above.

Turkeyslayer7

Quote from: cwb04 on February 26, 2019, 03:07:33 PM
Still carry my ole Preston Pittman crow call.  Works well in the hills of MS, not so much in the Delta.

Actually think this is what I had that my son broke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

You can get a pittman pretty cheap. I always have a pittman and a primos in my vest. They have helped me a lot!
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

aclawrence

Some of these comments are cracking me up. You can't just make a blanket statement that they don't work. Honestly my first thought was of all the yahoos running around blowing crow calls all over the place but I have had some success with them also.  I usually try my crow call as a last resort and sometimes I get lucky and get a response.

I bought an Osage crow calm from Darayl last year and that call above from Mike looks really nice to.

BB30

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 26, 2019, 01:58:51 PM
Quote from: Turkeyslayer7 on February 26, 2019, 01:13:05 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 26, 2019, 11:08:33 AM
I don't know how many different ways you could blow a crow call or how many brands are out there, but I lost count of how many Gobblers I've had shut completely down from some hero blowing a Crow call.
If they work for you in the place you hunt then good for you.
For some reason people here will continue blowing a crow call at a gobbling turkey until he shuts up, he's already gobbling on his own, that's about as located as he can be lol.

Sorry for my original smart remark BUT I did not ask if they worked or how to blow them. I asked my question because I wanted a realistic call. I use them to get turkeys to shock gobble when they have shut up or when I'm closing the distance and do not want to sound like a hen and I also use them for killing crows. I'm not your average joe sounding like a ridiculous crow in the woods. Future reference LaLongbeard if you ain't got anything to add to a post then you do have the option of not saying anything. Just Saying. Thanks again for all the helpful input from everyone else and I have tried the woodpecker and it does work I just don't carry one anymore

I did not offer advice on how to blow a crow call. And I was not the only one that said they don't use them. Future reference don't get so bunched up about what someone posts.

I agree with an overwhelming majority of your posts but you generally rarely ever give an answer to the question that is being asked and usually have a fairly condescending tone to your replies.

No point in going into a thread that asks a specific question that you clearly don't have the answer too and commenting just for the hell of it.

As for the initial question,I don't personally use a crow call but I have a friend that carries a woodhaven I believe, that sounds very realistic.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: wvboy on February 26, 2019, 09:38:27 AM
You fellows that say a crow call doesn't work are either blowing the wrong call, or you can't blow one right IMHO .. they are deadly when blown right and in the right situation..

I have a Haydel crow and it has killed right a many tom in it's day.

^^^^ This!

Don't ignore a Peacock call as well. I've had pretty good luck with mine.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Turkeyman62

TrackeySauresRex
I agree 110 %
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

Big Jeremy

That's a nice looking call, Mr. Yingling!

I carry a crow call that dates back to the 90s...it's plastic, and it sounds ok. Birds do shock to it sometimes. I don't use it that much.

One thing's for sure, any crow call is going to fail 100% of the time if no turkeys are around to shock to it.

3bailey3

3bailey3

husker

Chad Scruggs.  Prefer his over the Gibson I also have.

M,Yingling

one thing i havent read was and it happens for me once you get the real crows going it will  get them gobbling  lots of times ,,and just like every other air operated call you got know how to use it
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

coyote1

Mike you beat me to it. I was going to say I very rarely get a gobble to the call directly but once the real crows start flying around  and going nuts the birds generally respond.

You can't go wrong with Gosey or Gibson. Lonehowl on here makes a good one, this is what I use. I have not used Mike's crow call but if it sounds as much like a crow as his copper pot does a turkey you can't go wrong.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: BB30 on February 26, 2019, 07:49:13 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 26, 2019, 01:58:51 PM
Quote from: Turkeyslayer7 on February 26, 2019, 01:13:05 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 26, 2019, 11:08:33 AM

I agree with an overwhelming majority of your posts but you generally rarely ever give an answer to the question that is being asked and usually have a fairly condescending tone to your replies.

Generally rarely ever lol. Is there a particular reason why what  I posted upsets you and the other posts about not using Crow calls doesn't?
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowguy

Op I forgot to mention Daryl Gibson makes a call he calls a screamer. It's made particularly for turkeys so he says.
Funny cause I've had fantastic luck w a reg call. The screamer was in my safe as it was too nice to use.
I've had brain surgery n it left me w issues. One was no feeling and some palsy on the right side. While it's gotten tons better I still can't get a reg crow no matter how hard I try to blow. The screamer is perfect sounding though.