OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best aluminum

Started by troutfisher13111, February 25, 2019, 04:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

I'm looking for an easy to play aluminum with the classic high pitch aluminum sound. What are some suggestions?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Jroddc

Zilla

Turkeytider

BTH

I have a van cise anodized alum over slate i like once I buffed the anodizing almost all the way out.

However, I see alot folks like the Schaffer atomic 13 , Lonzo acrylic pot with alum surface and the dawkins stoned alum in the plastic pot. The Hank's padauk alum seems to have a good following too.
Phil 4:13

Happy hooker

Schaffer aluminum over aluminum in sapelle
Or
Dawkins aluminium in plastic pot

va longbeard

For the money I don't think you will beat that ugly Dawkins stoned aluminum in plastic pot.  Its ugly but it sings a mean tune!

Lonzo makes a great stoned aluminum as well I have an acrylic one that sounds good to my ear and he makes them in wood as well.

Not a huge fan of anodized I have had some that sounded amazing but man there finicky and always seem to either stop playing or start squeaking at the wrong time.

sbbow

Daddy rat stoned aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeStaten

Bunch of great aluminum calls out there.  For me, I prefer smooth anodized aluminum over stoned aluminum or bead blasted / rough aluminum.  For some, the smooth anodized may be a little more finicky but I keep mine touched up with a scotch brite pad and sometimes use a little rain chalk and never had an issue.

For calls that you can get in a reasonable time frame without re-mortgaging your house, I really like the following calls-

-Lonzo's anodized aluminum over aluminum in black acrylic pot. I have other aluminums from Lonzo and they sound great too.  However, if I could only carry one pot call, Lonzo's acrylic aluminum would get the nod.

-Just picked up an aluminum from James Witmer recently that I really like, not sure of the wood though.  I think it may be persimmon.  Call sounds great.  Starts out high and rolls over nicely. 

-Hanks in maple pot. 

KentuckyHeadhunter

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

va longbeard

MDTOM84

GuideGun

Wendall Rye Lights Out anodized aluminum over glass in a yellowheart pot with his dymondwood striker is a pretty great combo.
Matt

coyote1

Lights out aluminum/glass in a canary wood or yellow heart pot. Schaffer double aluminum in a maple pot. Lonzo double aluminum in a bubinga pot. Stumpy aluminum/glass in a sycamore pot.  In that order.

Imo if you want the higher pitched reach way out there sound the lights out is the way to go.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion