turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rabbit hunting is a blast!!!

Started by Deputy 14, February 24, 2019, 02:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy 14

Had the opportunity to go on my first rabbit hunt this morning and it was some of the most fun I've had hunting, almost enough to convince me to go buy some beagles. Had a lot of chases but the 50 mph wind gusts didn't help the dogs very much. Got lucky and hit the two I shot at, figured I'd better pull out my A game since we had a camera crew tagging along, can't have misses forever etched in history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Nice. Haven't been rabbit hunting in about 16 years. Seeing this definitely makes me miss those fun hunts. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

M,Yingling

Brings back some memory's  dad always had couple beagles   growing up was great way to hunt and that was back when every farm in the area  wasnt posted
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

slicksbeagles1

It's a great sport I have had beagles since I was 12 now I'm 60 and enjoy it has much now as I did when I was a kid. Things have changed through the years but it is still a fantastic sport that is fading away now days it's harder to find places to hunt rabbit populations have dwindled and old Beaglers have gone. As long as I can still get around I will continue and hopefully pass it on to younger generations.

Bowguy

Glad you had fun. Rabbit hunting to me isn't rabbit hunting unless the dogs chase em. Yesterday was our last day here unfortunately. NY closes in a few days. What state were ya in?

Walkerhuntfish

Very nice. We went this morning ourselves. We only managed 5. I broke out my old sweet 16 browning for the hunt. What's that old browning you got there?

Deputy 14

Quote from: Walkerhuntfish on February 24, 2019, 05:31:23 PM
Very nice. We went this morning ourselves. We only managed 5. I broke out my old sweet 16 browning for the hunt. What's that old browning you got there?
My old Sweet 16 haha. Tough to take anything else for small game.

owlhoot

looks like a lot of fun. Sure enjoyed the beagles . Lost 3 to age a while back. Haven't got any more.

Sir-diealot

Never done it with dogs but used to go to an area we knew had them and either kick a the brush (2 of us working together) or sit around and wait for them to come out and shoot them with the 10/22 After growing up raising rabbits I have to say the flavor is much much different, both are good though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TRG3

With loss of habitat and deer leases, the only place to hunt rabbits in Southern Illinois is on public ground. I went a dozen times or so with a buddy who has excellent beagles that didn't loose a rabbit all season unless it ran in a hole. We use .410s which doesn't tear them up. Cutting the meat off the bone into cubes and then oven fried makes for tasty rabbit nuggets, a great way to enjoy the rewards of the hunt.

highcj5

rabbit hunting is a blast.  as soon as deer season is over here, my phone starts ringing.  have some decent land and I know a guy with dogs.  that is all he does is rabbit hunt and a little trapping.  we only hunt each piece of property of mine once a year.  it is very enjoyable hearing the dogs running and getting to shoot the gun.   

by the way,  nice gun.   

Harty

I'm a fourth generation rabbit hunter and grew up with Beagles underfoot. We get started in earnest after the gun deer season when a lot of landowners will give permission. Nothin better ( IMO) heading out with a brace or more of Beagles and listening to a good chase!

haystaddle

Love chasing bunnies. Love the Browning.

Gen.27:3

I love rabbit hunting, I used to keep a few hunting beagles all the time, but I have been out of the rabbit game for a few years. I do miss it, as it is so much fun! It just got hard to find places to hunt around where I live.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

NCSWAMPFOX