turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blinds

Started by DP42912, February 24, 2019, 11:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parrot Head

Rogers sporting goods is haven a sale right now.

Gen.27:3

I have hunted out of a blind a lot. My favorite is the older double bull models. However, there are a bunch of good blinds out there. A blind is perfect for hunting with a kid, as you can get away with a lot of movement.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

jlw

I have a double wide double bull ground blind that I use when hunting a field edge. It has the 180^ window in front that can be adjusted from narrow to wide open. I really like the blind, especially when hunting on rainy days. I would love to have one of the new double bull surround view blinds but can't justify buying another blind. You might also want to look at a Rhino blind which are similar to the double bull but a little cheaper.

DP42912

Thanks everyone, very helpful forum...

I'm going with a small 11 lb. 55"x55" footprint blind, so now I need to find a couple small chairs that will fit in there...

squidd

Took this 60"-60"-66" dog house out for first time yesterday with my 8-yr old, plenty of room for two chairs.

Doubt I'd haul 2-miles in when it's just me - 12 lbs adds up.

Only mod would be to close in the main opening a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078H74Q2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

stinkpickle

We use an assortment of blinds for deer season.   I have an Ameristep Care Taker, and I'm not sure I would want to go any smaller for my son and me.  Our Double Bull Deluxe has more room, but it's heavy.  We hunt out of either, because we use a small deer cart to wheel the blind, chairs, shooting rests, etc. in and out of the woods, and that helps a LOT.

nosaj

Good luck.  I used a doghouse with my kids for 6 years with it being left out all season.  I used the folding camp chairs for the kids.  When they were 5/6/7 the would curl up in them and go to sleep.  If it was cold I would bring a blanket and they would often fall asleep.  I found sleeping kept them from getting board as quick.  You may need something to boost them up in the chair as well.  I always prepped them for what might happen like a turkey coming in while they were asleep and them needing to wake up with out doing a lot of moving around just in case the bird was right in front of us.  I also had them use the hearing protection head phones with the microphone that cuts out with loud noises.  Mentally prepare yourself for him to unintentionally scare away a 25 # tom and not turn it into a bad time.  There is nothing more I enjoy than hunting with my kids.  Don't force them, my son started coming with me on hunts at 5 (scouting at 4) and did not want to shoot until he was 8.  He shot a bird at 8 and had a blast, didn't even notice the recoil from his single shot 20Ga., the next year at 9 he decided he only want to come along and not shoot, the following year at 10 he wanted to shoot again, we were both on the same tree and the birds came in his way, He called his own shot and took a nice jake.  My point is don't push them, just make it fun.  Enjoy!  Oh yea, bring good snacks, I would let them have candy for breakfast in the blind and make it something special.       

rdjustham

This is the one i picked up when my son started hunting with me, think he was 4.  When i bought mine, either it was on sale or there was a rebate but i remember spending fifty bucks on it.  It folds up, not terribly heavy and the bag it fits in has back pack straps.  Best advice i can give from my experience with a 4 year old, bring snacks and entertainment of some sort and depending on his patience level, be prepared to come home early. lol

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ameristep-doghouse-ground-blind

zelmo1

Check out a deception blind by alps. I used a bigger one when my kids were smaller. The extra room to move around worked for us. Good luck brother

DP42912

Thanks fellas, I was worried the 55"/55" would be to small but it fits two of us just fine with two camp chairs. Private land will be no problem but when hunting public I'll probably take my deer cart and pile everything on it when one of the kids come along.

spaightlabs

Look at the Blind Hog pack if you need to mule a lot of stuff in. I can get my Dbl Bull Dbl wide, 2 chairs, 4 pieces of 16 inch long rebar I use for stakes and my gun in that pack and it carries comfortably with my hands free...

nosaj

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 14, 2019, 08:49:33 AM
Look at the Blind Hog pack if you need to mule a lot of stuff in. I can get my Dbl Bull Dbl wide, 2 chairs, 4 pieces of 16 inch long rebar I use for stakes and my gun in that pack and it carries comfortably with my hands free...

That pack looks perfect.  I just ordered one! Thanks

tomstopper

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 14, 2019, 08:49:33 AM
I just use my military seabag. Works pretty similar. If hunting fields, I also just strap it to a golf bag cart and wheel it right to the spot.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk