News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blinds

Started by DP42912, February 24, 2019, 11:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DP42912

https://store.mossyoak.com/ameristep-care-taker-blind-i-10012393

Have never hunted out of a blind, I'm looking to carry my five year old son with me.

Found this one on sale, has anyone used this blind? or could recommend another...

Lighter weight and easy setup would be a plus, to make us a little more mobile, thx for any help.

2eagles

I'm a Double Bull blind, but that looks like a nice one. Not to be a smarty pants kind of guy, but since you've never had a blind, the "shoot through mesh" is for archers, not gunners.

MK M GOBL

For Quality and Durability I would have a Double Bull Blind, You can usually find a Rebate and Sale on them coming up here in March, I have a number of them from older T2's to BS5 and Dark Horses and now the Double Wide Deluxe. Beyond having a lifetime warranty the are excellent blinds, I use these for mentored hunts, youth hunts, learn to hunts and for my new to turkey hunters as well, I also do video work out of them. My oldest Double Bull is 12years now, well worth the money.

The Deluxe (5 hub) is not a "lightweight" blind, thinking it's 20+ pounds. Not really for run & gun for me if I am doing that I use my T2 and in the 11lb range.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Quote from: 2eagles on February 24, 2019, 12:10:15 PM
I'm a Double Bull blind, but that looks like a nice one. Not to be a smarty pants kind of guy, but since you've never had a blind, the "shoot through mesh" is for archers, not gunners.

Not to say your wrong but we never have the mesh in for turkey, bow or shotgun no need. Different game on whitetails...

A little more DP42912

Just need to make sure you are "blacked out" behind you, when set right no light to pass through. motion will give you away otherwise. I set a blind as a "Diamond" to my set, not a square. This gives you more usable room. If you intend to leave a blind up (Private) never would on public. Make sure to completly stake it down, or the wind can damage them.

MK M GOBL

1iagobblergetter

That probably isnt to bad of a blind. I looked at one set up at Cabelas. It seemed ok,but not as well made as the old intimidators.
I wouldnt trade my Ameristep blinds for a Double Bull. In fact I would trade my barely used Double Bull for a Ameristep Intimadater in a heartbeat.Wish they still made them. I still have a 2nd Double Bull in the box never taken out. Thought id like them and bought 2 and don't like them at all. Goodluck.

Sir-diealot

This maybe another choice for you, comes with 2 seats built into it. I am sure you can find it cheaper. There is a weight limit on it, I will have to pull mine out and get that for you. If you are under 300 lbs. yourself then I think you are fine with your son but again I will pull it out and get the exact weight limit for you.  https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/239292/ameristep-deluxe-tent-chair-ground-blind-61-x-60-x-52-polyester-realtree-edge-camo
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

DP42912

Oh, I just assumed you could fold the mesh out of the way if you wanted?.?.
Thx for the info.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: DP42912 on February 24, 2019, 01:48:16 PM

Oh, I just assumed you could fold the mesh out of the way if you wanted?.?.
Thx for the info.

It's removeable, I take mine out for turkey.

MK M GOBL

Timmer

Ameristep makes very decent blinds for the money. I've had one for years that has seen its share of use.  I've used fishing line and epoxy to fix some tears, but it's still going.  You likely can pick up another model that has a more woodsy pattern for the same money.  I'm not sure it makes any difference to the turkeys.  The Ameristep blinds are lighter than many others that may be considered higher quality. 

I'm a run and gun guy so I only use them when it's pouring rain or I have kids with me.   One thing I have found is that they get tight awful quick with a second person in them.  Now I use my Ameristep if it's just me and I have a huge Pentagon if I go with anyone else.  https://www.barronettblinds.com/Product/blind-pentagon-backwoods-camo-7459
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

DP42912

Just need to make sure you are "blacked out" behind you, when set right no light to pass through. motion will give you away otherwise. I set a blind as a "Diamond" to my set, not a square. This gives you more usable room. If you intend to leave a blind up (Private) never would on public. Make sure to completly stake it down, or the wind can damage them.

Good advice thank you....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Timmer on February 24, 2019, 01:50:41 PM
Ameristep makes very decent blinds for the money. I've had one for years that has seen its share of use.  I've used fishing line and epoxy to fix some tears, but it's still going.  You likely can pick up another model that has a more woodsy pattern for the same money.  I'm not sure it makes any difference to the turkeys.  The Ameristep blinds are lighter than many others that may be considered higher quality. 

I'm a run and gun guy so I only use them when it's pouring rain or I have kids with me.   One thing I have found is that the get tight awful quick with a second person in them.  Now I use my Ameristep if it's just me and I have a huge Pentagon if I go with anyone else.  https://www.barronettblinds.com/Product/blind-pentagon-backwoods-camo-7459
Love the room of my Pentagon but the corners started to fall apart on me the first year. Could not return it because Gander Mountain went out of business.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dirt road ninja

For 50 more bucks I like the cabelas ground hunter. I've have both a double bull and the cabelas brand. Prefer the cabelas, the DB is better built but dollar for dollar the ground is a better choice IMO. Plus the bag it comes in is much easier to deal with over the DB. I also had one similar to the model your looking at and the windows are tall for a kid to shoot out of.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 24, 2019, 02:00:27 PM
For 50 more bucks I like the cabelas ground hunter. I've have both a double bull and the cabelas brand. Prefer the cabelas, the DB is better built but dollar for dollar the ground is a better choice IMO. Plus the bag it comes in is much easier to deal with over the DB. I also had one similar to the model your looking at and the windows are tall for a kid to shoot out of.

I'm guessing you have the old DB bag where you needed to slide the whole blind into the bag, the new zippered bags are way easier. If that old style I came up with a way to make it go easy. I have a lashing strap with an alligator clamp I wrap around the blind once you fold it down, works awesome, clamp tightens down as you pull and compresses the blind, do this with all my DB's makes them easy to handle.

MK M GOBL

ddturkeyhunter

The one your looking at will work for you if thats what you want to get. With everything you can alway find one a little better. The bigget thing I have witnessed abot blinds is if they shine or not. The cheeper ones most of the times are a vinyl and have a shine to them when the sun hits them right. Blinds were made for when you have young kids with that can't sit still, there great. And yes you don't need the mesh for turkey hunting, but you don't need to remove unless want to. It dose get in the way if filming, but other wise can stick gun barrel out any corner. And I would rather have extra camo, inbetween me and a turkey eyes anytime I have kids with me in a blind.

Kytomgetter

If you can find one look at a Barronett blind. They are a good blind and can be had pretty cheap.