OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sorry Guys

Started by Woodsman4God, April 28, 2011, 04:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsman4God

Hi guys I had an eventful 3 days of hunting this year, heading up the day before my hunt I saw between 15-20 birds not far from my hunting area, this buoyed my hopes.

1st morning opened and I had a gobbler no less than 200 yards gobbling randomly sometimes to my calls and sometimes to a crow or woodpecker, eventually he moved off and I didnt hear anything else.
that night Kamski and I dorve around and put 3 gobblers to bed,

2nd morning heavy thunderstorms ,didnt head out, that evening mostly dead until the last hour which had me on 2 different birds both screaming to every call I threw out but neither would come into calling, roosted both birds and had high hopes for next morning

3rd morning I am working the same bird I was on the first morning except hes gobbling at everything,the other bird I roosted is gobbling at everything too and is only a short distance away. the closer one still doesnt come in, finally again he wanders off,I reposition and am within 100 yards of second bird, a group of crows have him hollering while I set up a deke about 15 yards from the field he is in and I back off and start calling, hes hammering at everything but not getting much closer, I am using the new trifecta mouth call I won from perfection calls, I switch to a lights out slate and give him a couple of soft yelps and he hammers, he starts getting closer, I give him a few soft purrs and here he comes on a string, gets within 10 feet of deke and starts strutting, nother purr and he is in the clear, put my gun up and pull the trigger just to hear CLICK, I forgot to load my gun, He runs off, I quietly load my gun and call a few times, nothing, wait a few minutes and give a few purrs, nothing,wait 5 minutes and still nothing, get up to get my deke and he is behind a small birm still 35 yards out and flies off,,,,doh!!!!!

I learned a few lessons had a great time and called my first bird by myself to its impending doom, minus the shot shell..........

BOFF

Reads like some exciting times though. So your not able to get after them one more time before May 2nd?

God Bless,
David B.

hookedspur

Sounds like my hunt . :anim_25:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Woodsman4God

Quote from: BOFF on April 28, 2011, 08:36:59 PM
Reads like some exciting times though. So your not able to get after them one more time before May 2nd?

God Bless,
David B.

unfortunately I wont be able to

GobbleNut

Been there....Done that, too.   Kind of an empty feeling at that moment.   Sorry to hear you won't be able to rectify that situation until next year.....
Jim

drenalinld

Sorry your hunt turned out that way.  Congratulations on calling him in close!

bowhunter84

it happens that way sometimes. i have had the worst season this year. i didnt hear much gobbling and the few i did hear wouldnt cooperate. tomorrow is our last day so im hoping to make something happen!

anthonyjhallen

I know the feeling.  I didnt kill a bird last year.  To make it worse, I missed.........