turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hearing Protection

Started by LaLongbeard, February 23, 2019, 03:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

I've been looking for something to protect my hearing without comprising the ability to hear whats  going on. Ear plugs are fine for dampening the shot but once you put them in you can't hear subtle noises. I have pretty good hearing and would like to keep it that way,I've always tried to use hearing protection when shooting.Most times I was able to put earplugs in when I felt like the gobbler had committed and even with plugs in I could still hear a gobble if close. Last year I didn't have time to put in the plugs and shot a Gobbler my ears rang for a whole day. If you shoot without any protection and your ears don't hurt or ring afterwards you definitely have hearing loss.
A friend recommended the MSA Sordin ProX ear muffs they have microphones that can be turned up or down to enhance hearing and shut off loud noise above 82db. I've had them a couple days and they work pretty good when turned down to the lowest setting it's  normal hearing without any amplification which stops any background noise. Very comfortable and light weight/water proof. And best of all I can course sounds the same as without them on. I know that has been a complaint I've seen about most hearing protection/amplifiers.
Now I can just put them on after I get set up and the gobbler is moving in. There not cheap but what's your hearing worth? Anyway if someone's looking I can recommend these
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

2eagles

Not cheap for sure, but heck of a lot cheaper than my $6500 Starkeys. And no hearing aid comes close to good natural hearing. Wish I'd started protecting my ears 55 years ago.

Swather

North Sonic earplugs will allow you to hear and protect your ears.

I believe they are now sold under the Accu Life name.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Swather on February 23, 2019, 05:58:32 PM
North Sonic earplugs will allow you to hear and protect your ears.

I believe they are now sold under the Accu Life name.
Those are similar to the 3M combat ear plugs the military used, they are flanged and supposed to stop loud noises but let conversation be heard.
3M is being sued for hearing damaged caused by the ear plugs. I had some and quit using them for that reason.

Tom Foolery

Predator Pro Ears Gold for me.  I've already got damage.  It's too bad I didn't protect my ears when I was younger. 

sasquatch1

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 23, 2019, 06:35:01 PM
Predator Pro Ears Gold for me.  I've already got damage.  It's too bad I didn't protect my ears when I was younger.

You can still hear them gobbling and tell their direction with these on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerpoo22

Interesting thread. Last year I took a crack at a coyote in turkey season with my 460 S&W and I certainly received permanent hearing damage because of it. Looking around for something to help me myself

Sixes

I would love to find something that works from one side. I am almost deaf in my left ear (way too much shooting as youngster and the bad habit of riding with my window down) but have above average hearing in my right ear.

My problem is directional, I can hear a gobble or a deer walking, I just cannot tell the exact direction. I've used a single Walker game ear off and on for several years. It works as far as hearing with my left ear, but I still have a lot of difficulty with direction.

Hardest is something coming from behind or from the left, I'll be looking hard out front or to the right and then see whatever it is on the left. I've learned over the years that if I hear something to look 45 degrees to the left of where I think it comes from.  If I had it to do over, I would really protect my hearing.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 23, 2019, 10:08:58 PM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 23, 2019, 06:35:01 PM

You can still hear them gobbling and tell their direction with these on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.   I slip them on after I setup on a bird.  I wear them deer hunting from the time I get to a stand until I'm finished. 

JoeA

I just got some Walker quad razors. On the skeet field, they're awesome. But the loss of directionality concerns me too. I'm
NWTF, SCI, DU and Half Tone Game Calls

Turkeyman

Hearing loss due to loud noises is cumulative. I wear hearing protection when on the pistol/rifle/shotgun range when patterning and sighting in but don't do so while hunting. I also do a fair amount of framing and wear ear plugs when hammering. That's at least as intense as a shotgun blast, perhaps moreso. How many shots are you going to take when hunting?

LaLongbeard

I kill 8-10 Gobblers a year rarely ever shoot more than once. So that's 10 or less shots per year that's also 10 days of ear ringing 1 per shot. I don't know what shooting 3 days in a row will do and don't want to know. That's kinda the point if you can shoot a shot or a couple shots with no hearing protection and it doesn't hurt your ears or make them ring you already have hearing loss. Any noise over 85 db will damage hearing if exposed too much, a shotgun blast is 170 db + or- a single shot can cause damage. Some of the real short barreled guns with ported chokes are more than 170db.

Ozarks Hillbilly

You might check out the sound gear line they are made by Starkey soundgearhearing.com

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bolandstrutters

Ive tried a few different versions, but have yet to find one that I can tell which direction the gobble comes from. 

rifleman

My brother and I have been using Howard Leight hearing enhancer/protection during spring turkey season and they seem to be good.  I think on Amazon for about $60.  Good luck.