turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do human voices scare birds?

Started by ArkyRidgeRunna, February 22, 2019, 01:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkyRidgeRunna

Say me or a buddy have an important call to take while we are working a bird. If we are talking on the phone with a bird around will it spook him? I have heard it does not.

Gobble!

Everything scares them. Unless your hunting urban birds that hear people all day I can't believe a human voice would not scare a bird.

ArkyRidgeRunna

Thats what I thought too but remember someone saying they were talking in a normal voice with a gobbler at 30 yards and it didnt even pay attention.

Gobble!

The bird would have to be 100% tuned into a decoy or something to get away with that but most times they are going to get out of dodge.

bigbird

^^^^^^^^^
This is more than likely the case!

dirt road ninja

I've gotten away with more than I should with talking to my kids and friends. That said, be quiet.

yelpaholic

BB30

Quote from: ArkyRidgeRunna on February 22, 2019, 01:47:02 PM
Say me or a buddy have an important call to take while we are working a bird. If we are talking on the phone with a bird around will it spook him? I have heard it does not.

If I am working a gobbler and my phone rings it's probably not getting answered right in that moment unless it is a family emergency. Just about anything else can wait and if it can't I probably shouldn't be in the woods at that moment regardless.

I would think more times than not talking will most certainly mess a hunt up if the bird is within ear shot. You can potentially get away with a word or two but carrying on a conversation will certainly be a bust.

ArkyRidgeRunna

This is also what I would expect ive never tried it. What am saying is there is veteran turkey hunters that will tell you human voices in no way spook turkeys. I think there was a thread on this same subject not too long ago.

Swather

Quote from: ArkyRidgeRunna on February 22, 2019, 01:47:02 PM

This has to be an early April's Fool joke.

It's grammatically flawed and should say "A friend and I", and there is no phone call that is important while you are working a turkey.

Swather

The only turkeys not scared by a human voice are barnyard turkeys being called in for the feeding time.

Swather

Fanning and rapping to turkeys is the newest and most effective method of killing wild turkeys.

But you needs to wear a full HECS outfit when you do it so the turkeys do not see the alpha and zeta rays of ultraviolence and toxic masculinity being emitted from your body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26hjrwN_bg4

LaLongbeard

Only one way to know for certain....next time you've spent 3 hours working a hard headed gobbler when he finally shows up, call the wife and ask her what's for supper. You will be enlightened
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

THattaway

Personally, I try to stay as quiet as possible but...I've said "shoot him" with an audible voice a multitude of times to fellas hunting with me and have never had a tom spook. Comes to mind that several times I've had audible voice conversations with companion hunters while hens and jakes were in gun range and they took no notice. Had a tom strutting in once and a friend's cell phone began to ring/bang away with some latin sounding ring tone, even heard him cussing at it as he fumbled for a button to silence it. That tom came right on in and I shot him dead. I don't think they notice all that much myself but I don't usually risk it and remain quiet. Loud noises maybe but I think it's movement that spooks them more than anything.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Sixes

I'm of the mindset that we overthink game animals and their abilities. If the woods are alive with birds, squirrels, etc then I don't think a turkey pays any attention to a voice, unless it was really loud. If the woods are dead quiet, then they would hear it and pinpoint the exact location, but I don't think the voice itself would spook the bird.

Even if you do say something, the bird doesn't know what you said or that it is a human