turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nice Georgia bird

Started by bnew17, April 28, 2011, 12:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnew17

I killed this bird last Saturday 4/23 . The birds have not been gobbling right at daylight so i went and sat up in an area where some birds had been roosting all season. The only problem is these birds have been pretty tough because they stay in the tree until a hen comes to them. One weekend i bumped one out of the tree at 10 am. About 30 min after first light the woods woke up around me. I had several birds gobbling around me. I got aggressive on my Tom teaser Cracked Corn with some yelps and cuts and all the birds gobbled. I hit them with some more aggressive yelps and cutts as soon as i finished they gobbled again. I shut up and waited a few minutes and raked the leaves around me. About 5 minutes goes by and a bird sounds off to my 9 at about 60 yards. I had heard this bird earlier but he was still in the tree. I focused my attention his direction which was fairly thick and i caught a glimpse of a solid red head cut through an opening. I get positioned and he is walking straight to me through some light brush in these big pines. I was set up at the intersection of 2 logging roads with my she mobile set up in the middle. When he got about 50 yards away he kinda veered to my right and was quartering to me. He went behind some thick brush and i knew the next time i saw him he would be in the road which would put him just about out of range. So i was hoping he would see the decoy once he got in the road and come my way giving me a good shot. So i got ready to where i thouht he would come out in the road and sure enough he came out exactly where i thought he would. He looked down the road at my decoy and turned and took one step the opposite direction away from me down the road. I wasnt wanting to make a long distance dedication, even though i knew my gun was more than capable of making such shot. As soon as he took that step away from me i wasnt going to let him take another and get away. I put the bead on him and let the Hevi 13's eat. Dropped him at 42 yards. Killed him at 8:30... Any idea on his age?

- A shade under 20 pounds
-10" beard
- 1 1/4" spurs and sharp as needles(both of them)

Browning Silver
Hevi 13 , 3 1/2" , 1 1/4 oz , 6 shot
Indian Creek .665

njdevilsb

Congrats on a good bird.  If I had to guess, I'd say 3 years old.

vicksburg

i think 4 yr old.  Usually, 2 yr olds have < 1" spurs, 3 yr olds have 1"-1 1/8" spurs, 4 yr olds +/- 1 1/4" spurs. 
]

Basser69

Hognutz

Congrats. Nice bird, nice story, great pictures..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Gobble!

bowhunter84

hobbes

Great bird......congrats!  All I would be willing to commit to on his age is his older than 2, beyond that its an estimate. 

trkycaller

JVA54

guesswho

Congrats on a good'un.  I'd guess him to be three or four. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bigsho69

Ol'Mossy

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

cannonball