OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

They're getting closer!

Started by shaman, February 21, 2019, 09:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaman

This story goes back almost 40 years.  That's when I first started turkey hunting.  I grew up on the north side of Cincinnati, Ohio. At the time I started, the nearest county offering turkey hunting in Ohio was 3 hours' drive from town.  Little by little, the turkeys kept marching east, and by 1990 you could hunt them in Clermont County, only one country over from me.  I was deer hunting there at the time, but I never saw a bird.  They were in SW Indiana as well, but I never saw them east of the Great Miami River until a few years ago.

Over the years, I've marked the progress of the birds.  25 years ago, I got a house on the north side that was close one of the county parks, and I figured I'd at least try to call every year and see.  About 5 years ago, I heard they'd showed up in a small park about a mile from the house.  In 2016, I got my 4 yr. old granddaughter out and managed to call up a gobbler together in that park.

Last year, I opened up my back door and did the ceremonial annual call with my loudest box call, and got the faintest hint of a response.  Last summer, my sons saw a gobbler standing in the middle of the road on the road behind the house, so  I know they're in the adjoining woods.  I'm waiting for a warm morning here in a few weeks to give it another try.

Meanwhile, I know they're closing in from the south.  Cincinnati has them in an abandoned golf course and city park a mile or so south of me.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer