OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Funny and true

Started by MISSISSIPPI Double beard, February 20, 2019, 10:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I love custom calls but many a gob has been fooled by cheaper calls.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Happy

I won't argue with you one bit. I got a super aluminator that's been the demise of many a gobbler. Gave it a break for a few years and just set it out to put in the vest for this year. I also know an old boy that doesn't use anything but a quaker boy boss hen diaghram and a slate pot by the same company. He has racked up more birds in 20 years with those calls than any platz call will.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Turkeyman

Custom calls vs. over the counter calls. ANY call in the hands of an experienced turkey hunter with excellent woodsmanship can, and will, be deadly. Sort of like golf. Very few can compete, with their set of custom clubs, against a PGA pro "armed" with nothing but a 5 iron and a putter. That said, we all like to sound "turkey" as best we can.

goblr77

I can't argue with that. I've killed a pile of turkeys with a $10 HS Strut Li'l Deuce 2.

longspur

Quote from: goblr77 on February 20, 2019, 03:25:11 PM
I can't argue with that. I've killed a pile of turkeys with a $10 HS Strut Li'l Deuce 2.

:you_rock:

Spitten and drummen

I have a few production calls that sound better than some of my custom ones. I have killed a few with a preston pittman copper pot and have some copper pots from custom makers that sound terrible.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ShootingABN!

rcleofly

A couple years ago I took the plunge and purchased two custom calls. They were expensive and they are incredibly beautiful. I mean true craftsmanship. I'm very proud to own them and love to show them to my buddies.

That being said, any of you ever run a striker across a Knight and Hale Moonshiner? $35 ugly as hell and you can bet your last dollar It will be the first call I pull out of my vest this coming season.

The best and most successful hunter/caller I've ever had the opportunity to spend some time in the turkey woods with religiously used a Primos Jackpot.

I will without a doubt have a wall in my basement when I'm old full of all the beautiful custom calls I'll purchase. But "you hunt with what plays for you".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

You can kill birds with cheap calls and in my experience some of the worst turkey callers in the woods are real live turkeys. I've heard some hens that made me laugh out loud.

Sir-diealot

I just love the artistry of custom calls myself, if they help fantastic but I have called turkeys in with my Mad Super Crystal more than once.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

MK M GOBL

It's like I say "I pick performance over pretty"

MK M GOBL

Chordeiles

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on February 20, 2019, 08:18:54 PM
You can kill birds with cheap calls and in my experience some of the worst turkey callers in the woods are real live turkeys. I've heard some hens that made me laugh out loud.
:agreed: Same here!

Happy

I should preface, I have nothing against custom calls. I enjoy using them myself. However for those just getting into turkey hunting, if all you can afford is a walmart special then roll with it. Most of the requirements to being what i would consider to be a good turkey hunter are skill based and not equipment based. If you like buying expensive stuff then go for it. It's your money to do with as you please and if it brings you happiness then so be it. I just feel many times we base our hunter qualifications off of what we spend on equipment which I personally find a little odd. Some of the best woodsman I know are really good at doing a lot with very little.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tha bugman

No doubt mass produced calls work.  I have used a many a one to call a gobbler in during my career.  I do however love supporting custom call makers.  To each his own.