News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Should I go 20ga or .410?

Started by valerio024, February 15, 2019, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Tom Threetoes on February 18, 2019, 06:21:48 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority here but if 8 oz. is a deal breaker maybe you should hire a gun bearer, or pick another hobby.

Maybe he puts alot of time walking up and down hilly terrain. Maybe he is elderly or maybe he can handle holding a lighter gun up for a longer period of time , or maybe he wants more of a challenge. Or just maybe he wants one because he can. I did not see where the weight was a deal breaker in his post. I spent 5 years as a army airborne Ranger and I now hump a 20 gauge. I can tell you when you are humping alot of gear all day , 8 ounces can make a difference. Little bit obnoxious for you to tell the OP that he may need to get a gun bearer or find another hobby.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Magdump

Don't discount the delightful 28 gauge as a sub-gauge option.  The Beretta A400 Xplor 28 gauge is a delightfully light and fast tool.  Going to use it in a few states this Spring!

wvmntnhick

Guess I'm the odd one cuz I've killed a pile of deer with the lowly 223. Never once have I had one ask me what it was killed with nor have I had one run away. I've had a couple that needed shot 2x but I've had the same happen with 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 7 STW, 308, 7-08 and various other calibers.

As for the gun for your turkey hunting, pick your poison brother. After I win this sight base from Sumtoy (optimism at its best), gonna have William choke a .410 and it'll be stoked with tss for me and my girls to throttle turkeys with together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 18, 2019, 08:13:46 PM
Guess I'm the odd one cuz I've killed a pile of deer with the lowly 223. Never once have I had one ask me what it was killed with nor have I had one run away. I've had a couple that needed shot 2x but I've had the same happen with 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 7 STW, 308, 7-08 and various other calibers.

As for the gun for your turkey hunting, pick your poison brother. After I win this sight base from Sumtoy (optimism at its best), gonna have William choke a .410 and it'll be stoked with tss for me and my girls to throttle turkeys with together.

I bet money that gun will bang flop a bird at 40 all day long.

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

LRD

I would pick the 20 which is now my main turkey gun with tss #9s.

valerio024

I guess the positives that I see with the .410 are cheaper ammunition (factory TSS), less recoil, and lighter weight gun. The obvious downside is a lighter payload of shot.

ssramage

My primary turkey gun is a reworked single shot 20 gauge, but I also just added a single shot .410 to the mix this year.

Shoebuck

Now carry a Benelli 12 but will soon be carrying a 20 Benelli.

Ctrize

I think the 410 would be great for breaking in any new hunter. I know what a twenty does and vote for it.