OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Should I go 20ga or .410?

Started by valerio024, February 15, 2019, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valerio024

I'm thinking of putting together a sub gauge gun specifically for turkey hunting. I am leaning toward the Stevens 301 Turkey, which is offered in a 20ga and a .410. The 20 gauge is a half pound heavier (5.6lbs vs 5.07lbs). Just curious which route you guys would go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD_smith

The only issue (and it's not really an issue) is that with the .410 you're almost limited to just TSS for turkeys. If the supply for that ever changes or it gets outrageously expensive because they're finding more uses for it all the time then you have a gun that's too expensive to shoot. With that said it would be so cool to hunt with such a small gun like the .410.

Hook hanger

If it was for my main Turkey gun I would go 20ga.

guesswho

Between the two I'd go 20 no doubt.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

fallhnt

I've killed birds with PB out of my .410 @ 10 yrds. I have TSS now. Still my limit would be 20 yrds. Buy the. 410 if you have other guns.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Gobble!

If it was my sole turkey gun the 20g. If it was a take once in awhile for a good time gun I'd get the .410. The 20g just has more capabilities.

dirt road ninja

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

yelpaholic

JoeA

Go with the 20ga. I read about a guide who has a 28ga tuned for turkeys, but he rolls his own shells for it. With the .410, there's no room for slop. Pattern the gun so you understand well it's limits.

It's challenging to bust skeet with a .410 and I know the flight path of the "bird".
NWTF, SCI, DU and Half Tone Game Calls

Spitten and drummen

410 with tss and it is a 40 yard gun. I personally like my 20. Would not hesitate to tote a 410 with tss though.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SinGin

I never understood why people want to shoot as little gauge or caliber as possible?  410 for turkeys and 223 for deer. I know they can be killed with them but we owe it to the animals to not take any chances when we are ending their lives. That being said, man up and go 20

CALLM2U

Quote from: SinGin on February 15, 2019, 03:30:46 PM
I never understood why people want to shoot as little gauge or caliber as possible?  410 for turkeys and 223 for deer. I know they can be killed with them but we owe it to the animals to not take any chances when we are ending their lives. That being said, man up and go 20

The most ironic part is that people try to make others feel guilty for not shooting TSS because they "owe it" to the turkey to shoot the best/most lethal shot, then they shoot 410s. 

To the OP, if it's a dedicated turkey gun, as others have mentioned, I would go with the 20.  If you've got a 20 already, then go for the 410 for something different. 

Spitten and drummen

Get some experience with tss and then you will understand.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: CALLM2U on February 15, 2019, 04:06:43 PM

The most ironic part is that people try to make others feel guilty for not shooting TSS because they "owe it" to the turkey to shoot the best/most lethal shot, then they shoot 410s. 

To the OP, if it's a dedicated turkey gun, as others have mentioned, I would go with the 20.  If you've got a 20 already, then go for the 410 for something different.

The ironic part is people who have absolutely no experiece with something puts in input without knowing much about the subject. Others trying to learn are mislead by advice that cannot be accurate without experience. I would never make someone feel guilty about what they shoot. I do not care what others shoot . I do have experience with tss over the last few years and its medicene on turkeys. I also know several people that went to a 410 for the challenge and believe me , it stomps birds as well as a 12 ga. Just not quiet as far.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"