turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Holly Springs National Forest in Mississippi

Started by mozart_hunter, February 13, 2019, 05:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozart_hunter

Looking at trying Holly Springs this year. It's a little under 2 hours from my house and I live in Arkansas so season opens almost a month before mine. Has anyone had luck there in the past?

LaLongbeard

Loads...and I mean loads of gobblers, very little in the way of hunting pressure well worth a two hour drive. If your interested I can pm some roost areas I've had success with last season.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

deadbuck

I live 10 minutes from it and I can assure you there are not 'Loads" of turkeys on it. I used to see a few Arkansas boys here because our season opened first, but haven't seen many the past few years. I will caution you this, all of the agriculture fields around the forest are private property and you better not trespass because you will be being watched closely by the hordes of local hunters. If you have to use vacation time to come here you are backing up in my opinion.

LaLongbeard

Maybe I should have said piles of gobblers....lol
Anybody that would try to get info on a open Turkey forum will believe anything, yet every year there's another 10-15 people trying it again.
I found out last year that the "dead silent" call was the ticket to get them gobbling, I bet I heard 10-15 every morning.

mozart_hunter

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 13, 2019, 05:53:04 PM
Loads...and I mean loads of gobblers, very little in the way of hunting pressure well worth a two hour drive. If your interested I can pm some roost areas I've had success with last season.

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 13, 2019, 07:54:15 PM
Maybe I should have said piles of gobblers....lol
Anybody that would try to get info on a open Turkey forum will believe anything, yet every year there's another 10-15 people trying it again.
I found out last year that the "dead silent" call was the ticket to get them gobbling, I bet I heard 10-15 every morning.

Thanks for the great jokes. Just asking if anyone has had any luck before.

LaLongbeard

Come on guys, you can't tell me that many people didn't know I was joking. NOONE is going to give you roost locations in Mississippi lol. The only turkey hunters that would give out info is maybe New Hampshire etc. there populations are just now peaking and they think it will always be like it is lol. I give them 5 years. People are steadily moving North and it won't be long before the Yankees are in the same spot as the southeast. Look at Kansas and Nebraska.

Next pm I get Im sending a map of Alaska,with roost locations

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: mozart_hunter on February 13, 2019, 05:10:56 PM
Looking at trying Holly Springs this year. It's a little under 2 hours from my house and I live in Arkansas so season opens almost a month before mine. Has anyone had luck there in the past?

Im gonna be honest with you. Guys here help out fellow hunters unselfishly when it comes to anything EXCEPT state public land hunting. Anyone finds a nice place that has birds and its public , do you think they would post it on a public forum? Think about it , would you? Turkey hunters are tight lipped when it comes to birds. Hust the way it is. I hunt MS and can tell you that our public land is over ran by Arkansas hunters early season because of our earlier season. I will tell you that we do have birds but its not over ran with them. These birds are heavily pressured and get tight lipped quick. You can kill birds but be prepared to work really hard to get on them. You can bet if you find birds , there is someone else thats hunting them too. If someone lets the cat out of the bag about a area with birds then in no time weekend warriors will be all over that spot. Not trying to be rude , but just pointing out my view along with the many die hard turkey hunters I know. Make the trip , find some birds and get after it. Just dont expect a gobbler on every ridge but you can expect on hunter on every one. Good luck OP.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Jrkimbrough

I'm not really into the internet msg board arguing, go bark up another tree brother.  and please stop harrassing me via PM.

I actually PM'd you to see if you were one of the ignorant folks giving people actual locations.  Instead you went on a two paragraph rant basically calling me an "idiot".

I know the H.S. NF and just gave the original poster some general info about the area and places to key in on when hunting the area.  I deleted my post because I didn't want people years from now messaging me.  And after a little while, I will delete this post as well.  :icon_thumright:

Have a nice day!

davisd9

Changed his name, but still the same person. No surprise there.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gobble!

Quote from: davisd9 on February 14, 2019, 02:13:12 PM

Now look what you've done. You know hes sensitive.

LaLongbeard

No surprise you still whining about anything I post lol

davisd9

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 14, 2019, 02:23:34 PM

How long before you run from this username too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gobble!

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 14, 2019, 02:23:34 PM

You whine more than anyone on this site give me a break  :TooFunny:.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

There are not many turkeys left on Holly Springs N F. Yall calm down. LOL
They call him...Kenny..Kenny