turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Double Barrel

Started by Will, February 11, 2019, 07:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I'm considering investing in a side by side. For those of you that hunt with one could you tell me the make and model? Curious as to what would be a good turkey side by side hunting gun.
Thanks in advance

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Check out a Stevens or Fox. Old school guns that with todays shells would be cool to hunt with.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

DocHolliday

CZ Bobwhite G2. Modern steel. Choke tubes. 20 ga for $600ish. I have multiple G1's and they are my go to turkey guns

owlhoot

Quote from: DocHolliday on February 11, 2019, 07:57:56 PM
CZ Bobwhite G2. Modern steel. Choke tubes. 20 ga for $600ish. I have multiple G1's and they are my go to turkey guns
Guess i have a G1 , has a nicely blued barrel , choke tubes and 20 gauge. I think its a really nice shotgun. I don't have any turkey chokes for it and can't force myself to let a friend dip it. Double triggers which i think would be the best bet for choice of barrel set up for close or 40 yard shots.   

1iagobblergetter

Pedersoli 12gauge muzzleloader..

Gobbler428

You might want to check out Zack Farmer on YouTube. He uses either an LC Smith or Fox, can't remember which.  Sometimes both barrels at the same time LOL.

Dukejb

I have a Parker Trojan 20 gauge. I haven't used it for turkeys yet, but that is one of my main goals for this season. Archibald Rutledge used a Parker VH 12 gauge in most of his hunting stories. My next double will probably be a Fox 16 gauge because they were generally built on a 20 gauge frame giving you a more powerful gun in a lighter package.  If my budget allowed, I'm pretty sure classic American doubles would be as addicting as custom turkey calls ;D

crow

I've hunted with an old SXS hammer gun off and on for turkeys since the mid 1990's, it's not choked very tight but is fun to hunt with.

Last fall I picked up a Bobwhite 20ga and used it for turkey and small game thru the fall/winter with TSS in the left barrel and a pheasant load in the right.

Planning on primarily hunting it this spring with TSS in the tight left barrel and still deciding on what choke and load for the right barrel.

My G1 Bobwhite does have about a 1/4" of cast off which I had not seen listed in the older specs, it's the same as my old gun so not a problem, but would of  been awkward if I was left handed.

the Bobwhite is one of the few new guns available with double triggers. I grew up using double triggers and being used to them I did not want to have to think about a single trigger and selector switch at "crunch" time.

richard black

Browning BSS in 20 ga. Beautiful little sxs. It won't be camoflouged tho. Only downside is non-selective barrel, but 30 yd shots no problem with proper loads.

appalachianstruttstopper

I have a Stoger uplander 20ga sxs with a fixed choke full left and mod right 28" that I use. Winchester long beard #6 in left barrel and federal #6 with flight control wad in the right. I have the same pattern at 30yds with the right barrel that I have with the left at 40yds. It's a killer!

TRG3

A few years ago, I came into the possession of a 12 gauge hammer double that required black powder loads. Having experience with flintlocks, the thought of loading up 80 grains of FFg black powder in 12 gauge hulls followed by one ounce of #5 shot worked just fine on a gobbler that came in to challenge my Funky Chicken. The 20 yard shot dropped him right there!

Buckman18

My daughter smokes 'em with a Yildiz side by side .410. I've been tempted to get the 12, but haven't yet.

Chordeiles

This is interesting. I just inherited a Fox Sterlingworth 16ga and a Fox Model B 20ga. I think I'll give one, or maybe both, a try this spring.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: Gobbler428 on February 11, 2019, 08:39:02 PM
You might want to check out Zack Farmer on YouTube. He uses either an LC Smith or Fox, can't remember which.  Sometimes both barrels at the same time LOL.
I have both of those shotguns. I'm curious to what shell would be good for them. This thread has me thinking.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Swather

I have and sometimes use a Beretta 626 Onyx.  It has interchangeable chokes, the Mobil system, and they are easy to buy for the gun.  It is a modern gun that meets more recent SAAMI standards, so you do not have the pressure concerns with older guns and modern loads.  With two barrels, one can use two different choke tubes. 

The gun can be bought for reasonable money and could be dipped, but I just use it as is, which is a satin wood finish and matte bluing.  The one drawback is that the gun is fairly light and will give you some cheek slap with heavy loads.  Shooting 2 3/4 pheasant loads with plated pellets is more comfortable than heavier 3 " turkey loads.