OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel swap

Started by brodyman0508, February 10, 2019, 11:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brodyman0508

I may have missed this somewhere but recently acquired a 870 super mag with a 24" barrel, any need to shorten it down to 21" or roll with it? The last one i had was a youth model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy66

24" is a great middle of the road barrel length, I wouldn't spend the money to have it shortened.  My 870 had a 28" barrel so I had it cut down to 23".

LaLongbeard

I prefer 23" over the 21" so 24" should be just right. Really the 3" difference will not be noticed in weight or shot pattern but the shorter barell will be noticeably louder. Save the money and use it to find a good pattering choke/shell
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

KyScott

There's a pretty good deal in the classifieds on a 23" non ribbed turkey barrel. Comes with a Sumtoy and Hevi shot choke tube for $150. Only an inch difference but still a good deal. I've had a Max Gobbler with the same barrel for years and it's a shooter.

Old Gobbler

Imo , 23to26 is ideal , any shorter and you loose velocity, and you have to work harder to get a good pattern

Over 26 and you start to notice the weight,  I will say this some of the very light import autos like a bennelli,  franchi ... the 28 inch guns weigh alot less than most guns more like 7 pounds on the nose and point real sweet you wouldn't know thier was a longer barrel on there by holding it up
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon