OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Felt recoil for youth gun

Started by WNCTracker, February 10, 2019, 05:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I'm getting my son his first youth gun this year. In my experience a 20 doesn't really seem that much difference than a 12.

I'd love to get him a semi but don't think it's financially feasible right now. So that leaves 870 vs mossy super bantam. My problem is that these shortened guns are also lighter and therefore going to have more recoil.

Surely someone can give me some direction. Super bantam or 870 with added recoil pad any different in felt recoil?  I'd really like the SA-08 but then I have to pay for tapping too.

Please, any advise would be appreciated. I'm not a gun guy, just a die hard hunter who uses guns. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I think you will be fine with the Rem 870 with 21 inch barrel .. age of the kid and what shell your planning on using will make a difference in the recoil.... if i were setting the gun up just for a kid i would use the Federal 2 3/4 HW 7 .. you can still buy these shells ....

LRD

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 10, 2019, 05:50:06 PM
I think you will be fine with the Rem 870 with 21 inch barrel .. age of the kid and what shell your planning on using will make a difference in the recoil.... if i were setting the gun up just for a kid i would use the Federal 2 3/4 HW 7 .. you can still buy these shells ....

I agree with this. My son started hunting with a youth 870 with Fed Hvy Wt 3" shells at age 7.

Ozarks Hillbilly

X3 if you can't come up with the Federal shell Nitro loads a little man or little lady just for this purpose.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

If you're worried about recoil, then they probably need to mature another year or two before hunting with a larger weapon.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

J_mill

My daughters have been shooting the 20 ga 870 since they were knee high to a gnats tail with no issues. I think we all can agree that if they are comfortable during practice that will only help increase their confidence when the moment of truth comes. At that point the excitement will take over and they won't evem give recoil a thought. Best of luck to them. Teach em right

WNCTracker

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 10, 2019, 07:26:41 PM
If you're worried about recoil, then they probably need to mature another year or two before hunting with a larger weapon.
I disagree. I think recoil is at the forefront of many people's decisions when choosing firearms for youth hunters that will kill turkeys. People choose lower recoil guns for many different reasons. This is just one.

LaLongbeard

I'm sure the 870 has a synthetic stock you can fill the hollow stock with BBs there cheap and will add a couple pound if filled. This will dampen recoil a lot. You could check that the poi is the same for the turkey ammo and a reduced load for practice. Don't let him shoot the turkey load until it's at a bird he'll not feel it. You could leave the BBs in the whole time and carry the gun for him or use it only for practice, cheap way to solve your problem.
My daughter had no problem shooting my nephews 20 gauge when she was 8. He would not touch it until we weighted the stock, he eventually got over his fear of recoil. Every kid reacts differently.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

MO HUNTER

I bought the kids a Maverick 88. It has killed 2 turkeys since we became friends! I absolutely hate shooting that 20 ga, it bucks like a mule. I think the short stock has something to do with the kick, and my long wingspan. My son doesn't mind shooting it, hes 11. And both girls shoot it too. If I had it to do over again, I would do the youth 870. I shoot my buddies guns, and love them!

Bowguy

Ok for starters a young child you are not so think along those lines. 20s typically kick less than 12s. Also realize the longer pad thing will make length of pull to long more than likely.
Felt recoil is determined by many things. Load, weight of gun, action, drop in stock, stance or lack thereof (benching), etc etc. Condider all that.
Two things I'd like to address. One have the child wear double hearing protection. Inner foam and outer muffs. This lessens sound and makes felt recoil seem much less. Two never have that child shooting turkey loads except at a turkey. Let em practice w light target loads. You personally sight gun WITHOUT  him there. Hunt day you just give him the heavier loads and don't say a thing.
Here's one you didn't address? Has the child shot? If not start them out light. Like .22 light.
One more thing regarding recoil. Certain rests such as a lead sled are great as they lesson felt recoil but they add lop to the gun. You may need want to improvise something.
You mention tapping. Why? The child should be shooting a forgivable load at closer range. Scopes for instance could give scope eye. Plus why complicate things?

owlhoot

The 870 21" should work fine. A good R3/ supercell remington pad does wonders.
I can say from experience from working with a few youngsters, not all mine, that a 20 gauge is a world of difference from a 12 with them shooting. May not seem like much to us but to them it does. We found this to be the same thing with deer rifles.

cutt down

Quote from: Bowguy on February 10, 2019, 08:36:52 PM
Ok for starters a young child you are not so think along those lines. 20s typically kick less than 12s. Also realize the longer pad thing will make length of pull to long more than likely.
Felt recoil is determined by many things. Load, weight of gun, action, drop in stock, stance or lack thereof (benching), etc etc. Condider all that.
Two things I'd like to address. One have the child wear double hearing protection. Inner foam and outer muffs. This lessens sound and makes felt recoil seem much less. Two never have that child shooting turkey loads except at a turkey. Let em practice w light target loads. You personally sight gun WITHOUT  him there. Hunt day you just give him the heavier loads and don't say a thing.
Here's one you didn't address? Has the child shot? If not start them out light. Like .22 light.
One more thing regarding recoil. Certain rests such as a lead sled are great as they lesson felt recoil but they add lop to the gun. You may need want to improvise something.
You mention tapping. Why? The child should be shooting a forgivable load at closer range. Scopes for instance could give scope eye. Plus why complicate things?

Excellent advice! My grandson was recoil sensitive & scared to death to shoot a shotgun. He'd shoot a 243 rifle all day long but the shotgun bothered him. Let him shoot dove loads at targets for a month before season. Slipped a 3" turkey load in there & he smoked a bird opening day last year & never once knew what I did. He never noticed the recoil when the bird was in his sights.

Another thing we did was take 2 liter coke bottles & fill them with different colors of water. There's something cool about shooting bottles of water & watching them explode especially with different colors. Gets their mind off of the recoil & wanting to see the color splatter! Whatever works!!!

WNCTracker

Quote from: Bowguy on February 10, 2019, 08:36:52 PM
He's killed two deer. One with .308 and one with .243. Both Rem 7600. He's shot them at the range too.

He's ten. Muscular but not heavy.

I'm planning for him only to have turkey loads while hunting. Birdshot at targets.

I'd like a red dot, not scope so no eye relief issues.

So are you basically saying you'd go with a 20?  What's pellet count of 3" 20 ga vs 2 3/4 12 ga vs subsequent recoil of guns with the same LOP?

Bowguy

I don't know exact pellet count. I've never been a numbers chaser and there's so many things to do to equalize issues but have you ever seen a youth 12? Are the guns you're looking at available in youth 12?
What about weight dif? Can he carry a 12 comfortably?
My daughters at 10 shot 20s. They shot them til fairly recently and one is in college. The younger one still does and she's 16. Not one bird had to be passed because of a 20ga being used.
As mentors whether it's our child or another we need to think what's best for them. A 12 just ain't it.
As far as recoil as stated there's so many issues. One of the best things you could do was say get an 11-87. For one it's heavier. You said "he's muscular". If it's not too heavy it's gas operated and would be a great gun. Look used to save money. How long are youth guns typically needed? How beat up could it be?
My youngest was real small. She couldn't actually handle an 11-87 because of weight. She shot a Winchester ranger youth pump. The compromise there was more recoil though. It's all a give n take at this age.
What's best for one kid may not be the best for the next. It's gotta be best for him. One gun does not suit all

fmf

my daughter killed her first 2 longbeards when she was 9 and did so with 3" turkey loads in a 12 gauge before i found the win 2 3/4 inch winchester turkey loads and switched her to those.   Don't get me wrong, she has only ever shot turkey loads at turkeys, but she will tell you that she's never really felt any recoil in the heat of the moment.   Those winchester 2 3/4 loads are very mild kicking loads for a turkey load and they are flat killers at 35 yards.