Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Increasing Pellet count: New Choke or TSS?

Started by valerio024, February 09, 2019, 12:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valerio024

I am trying to increase my pellet count at 40 yards.  In the past two years I have shot Longbeard XR's and had the following results with a Tru-glo Gobble Stopper .665 choke. #4's - 90 hits in a 10" circle.  #5's - 114 hits.  I have a Carlson's .660 I plan to try but here's my real question: Should I keep buying new chokes until I get better numbers or should I just switch to TSS?

If you think I should just switch to TSS which choke do you think would perform better: the .665 or the .660?  Thanks!

wchadw

Go with #9 tss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coop1082

TSS is superior but that's not saying longbeads aren't a great shell. Depends on how much your willing to spend. Factory TSS gets expensive quick..If you do swap to TSS just remember for the most part that a more open choke will probably perform better with it. What gun are you shooting?
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

wchadw

You will get roughly twice as many pellets with the TSS#9. I would probably do .665 choke

owlhoot

If all you want is more numbers ? Try the longbeard in 6's.

coyote1

What kind of gun? I shoot the long beard #5's and get very good 40 yard patterns. They are really tight 20 yards and in though.
I have been using .660-.665 for really good 40 patterns. Testing more open chokes this year to try to get a more forgiving 20 yard pattern.

I would also try #6 long beard , your gun might like them better than the bigger shot.

Nothing wrong with tss but it's way too expensive imo.

ShootingABN!

I have a Remington 870 3" and Charles Daly 3.5". I've tried tons of chokes. However both guns love .660. I have a first gen Rhino .660 and it is cray good. I also have a new .660 SumToy that I can't wait to spend more time shooting. I'm planning on getting some #5 Winchester XR just to see....

However I recommend going to www.nitrocompany.com and looking up your gun and recommended choke. I've been using a 4x5x7 heavyshot it's crazy pellet count. Once I run out I may give their TSS a try. The website gives a pellet count of 10" at 40 yards. It's worth looking into even if you don't buy their shells.

Hope this helps.

SD_smith

Quote from: ShootingABN! on February 09, 2019, 12:24:06 PM
I have a Remington 870 3" and Charles Daly 3.5". I've tried tons of chokes. However both guns love .660. I have a first gen Rhino .660 and it is cray good. I also have a new .660 SumToy that I can't wait to spend more time shooting. I'm planning on getting some #5 Winchester XR just to see....

However I recommend going to www.nitrocompany.com and looking up your gun and recommended choke. I've been using a 4x5x7 heavyshot it's crazy pellet count. Once I run out I may give their TSS a try. The website gives a pellet count of 10" at 40 yards. It's worth looking into even if you don't buy their shells.

Hope this helps.

I have the exact same two guns! Not many use a Charles Daly anymore. Especially since mine is a 2000 year model. Still 3.5" though and just got it this past fall. I'm gonna run my truglo choke off my 870 and see how it does with LB #6. The 870 shoots them very well.

valerio024

Quote from: Coop1082 on February 09, 2019, 12:12:41 PM
TSS is superior but that's not saying longbeads aren't a great shell. Depends on how much your willing to spend. Factory TSS gets expensive quick..If you do swap to TSS just remember for the most part that a more open choke will probably perform better with it. What gun are you shooting?
A 3" Remington 870

bchilde

I just ordered a choke from sumtoy and my brother and others on this forum made me buy the TSS 9. I bought a new Sx4 so I started from scratch. I don't know how to load the picture but my gun shot about 10inches high at 40 with them 9's and I still ate his head up. I really didn't understand the density of this tss until I saw for myself. I'm going to put a sight on it but I was blown away by how far off my gun is shooting but still pounding the turkey target.

coyote1

Unfortunately I don't  have an 870, can't recommend a choke.

You might have to try a more chokes if you stick with long beard. It seems that one brand or another in the .660-.665 range should throw a great pattern.

MickT

I'd drop shot size first then see what happens.

Boykin Hollow

Call William at Sumtoy chokes and he will fix you up and them purchase you some Apex # 9's TSS unless you plan to load them yourself.  Williams chokes do not break the bank.

Gobble!

TSS will increase your pattern with a factory choke. You can sell the other two to justify the cost.

If your stuck on the long beards call Jebs or Indian Creek and give whichever you like more your business.

zelmo1

Longbeard # 5's shoot fantastic out of my Patternmaster code black choke. For lead, I have found no better. Sumtoy choke for TSS. You can't go wrong if you shoot at ethical ranges. Just my  :z-twocents: