OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which TSS?

Started by Big Jeremy, February 08, 2019, 02:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

I know many of you guys are reloaders and make your own, but if a feller was going to purchase some TSS, what brand is the best between Federal, Apex, and Nitro. Or the new Browning...doubt many have been able to give it a try yet, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmf

I've only shot my handloads, another guys handloads and Apex, and the Apex shoots just as good for me.

Gamblinman

Nothing Nitro after the pixie dust debacle. Paying that much for a shell and getting floor sweepings for shot ain't happening again.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

chipper

I load mine but if I was buying commercial I would buy Apex, I know 2 of the guys on their R & D team and Nick , one of the owners, is a veteran.

jmart241

I have had goodluck with apex

WW

I patterned my 20 gauge last week with Federal and Apex. My 870 patterned the Apex better. Around 70 pellets better at 40 yards, inside the 10" circle. But Apex puts 1 5/8 oz of shot in the wad cup versus Federals 1 1/2 oz.

Big Jeremy

It makes sense that the apex would have a little bit of an edge because of the payload. Federal's are slightly cheaper because of that, but 70 pellets is pretty substantial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

I have only shot the Apex and was very satisfied both on the pattern board and turkey heads. 20 gauge 3" #9 shot.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Gobble!

Tough question, probably Federal and a tight choke. Maybe Apex.

LRD

I shoot hand loads but would probably lean towards Federal if shooting factory.  I would consider Apex though.  I am not saving a whole lot by loading my own but know that each shell is built the same and with the same components. 

Big Jeremy

Thanks for all of the input. I bought some federal to try out. Locally available, and a little cheaper. May try some apex yet at some point down the road. I will update with some results, though just from the Federal for now, after I get a chance to do a little patterning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk