turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This Old Call...

Started by Buckman18, February 07, 2019, 06:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckman18

My Dad gave me this old call he had. He never really turkey hunted, and it's the only box call he's ever bought. He said he thinks it's from the 70's?

Obviously, being my dear ol deddy's call makes it a call to keep. But from a technical or value standpoint Is it anything special, or just an old cheap call?

davisd9

Sounds kinda special to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TrackeySauresRex

Priceless. Enjoy it, call up a big one with it.  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

coyote1

I agree. It's priceless because of the sentimental value. Take her hunting this spring.

Spitten and drummen

I dont want to rain on your parade and I would definatly hold on to it for sentimental reasons. I owned one and that was the worse sounding box call I ever had. That being said , I could have gotten a lemon. If my dad or grandpa would have given it to me , I would never part with it. The one I bought got used in a fire at camp. Awesome that your dad passed it on to you. I hope you kill several birds with it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

GobbleNut

From a monetary standpoint, I doubt it has much value.  As other have stated, the sentimental value to you is probably priceless. 
I, too, used to use a similar Penns Woods call when I first started turkey hunting back in the 1960's. I haven't used it in decades, but I
killed quite a few gobblers with mine back then, and I suspect you could kill them with yours now,...but I agree that in terms of sound quality, there are most likely lots of better-sounding calls on the market nowadays. 

1iagobblergetter

Neat..Id use it to kill one with and then put it up so I didn't have something happen to it.

tha bugman

If it's from your daddy it's priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 08, 2019, 01:44:05 AM
Neat..Id use it to kill one with and then put it up so I didn't have something happen to it.

This ^^^^   Then you can give Grampa's call to one of your own children in the future...start a tradition.

Yoder409

Quote from: captpete on February 08, 2019, 06:43:07 AM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 08, 2019, 01:44:05 AM

This ^^^^   Then you can give Grampa's call to one of your own children in the future...start a tradition.

All this ^^^^

What you have is a sentimental, family heirloom treasure.  It would bring about $20-$25 on eBay.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.