turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy Touch up paint suggestions

Started by valerio024, February 07, 2019, 12:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valerio024

I was able to pick up this display model DSD mating hen at Cabela's for $40! But it seems to need some touch up on the head. Any paint suggestions? Is acrylic the way to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Might give DSD a call and see if they sell a paint repair kit?

MK M GOBL

Jrkimbrough

Looks fine to me, I wouldn't even bother!  If you must just the cheap $1 bottles at walmart work perfect

LaLongbeard

I seriously doubt a Gobbler will come towards your calling see the decoy and think to himself, I'd really like to find a hen to breed but that one has a few scuffs on her head, Ima pass .
That decoy should work as well as a new one
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

acesand8s

I don't think it will work at all...if you want I'll give you $45 dollars for it and dispose of it properly.  ;)

By the way one heck of a deal on it.

Gobble!

I just bought a hen paint kit from DSD for $22 to my door. Pretty steep but thought I'd try it.

Happy

If your worried about it being that realisic you might want to put 2 legs on it also.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Happy on February 07, 2019, 07:22:42 PM
If your worried about it being that realisic you might want to put 2 legs on it also.
Lol

ddturkeyhunter

That really is not that bad, my hen that I had since 2009 has been thrown around a lot looks far worse then that. Had a hen pecking the heck out of it again last year, she didn't care. But if painting it gives you some extra confidence, it sure will not hurt painting it.

JLH

Folk art acrylics will work just fine....you can mix the colors, thin them with water....very easy to use.
I've painted entire decoys with it....then spray a clear satin over to protect.

This jake decoy was beat up when I got it used....looked like it had been dragged behind a truck for a mile or two.

Greg Massey

This is a new member who ask about paint to touch up his decoy. So lets all be nice and respectful of what he ask regardless if you like decoy's or not ...Welcome to the forum new member ... just some bottles of paint from Walmart will work fine ... You know some people may hate the gun you use or the truck you drive , but no need to call someone out on it ... just enjoy the site ..

1iagobblergetter

I wouldnt worry about it either. Id hate to show you my cheap old carry lites...

bbcoach

If you have to touch it up then go to Wally world and get their acrylic paint in the hobby section and have at it.

2eagles

While the paint is nothing to really worry about, it is fun to mess around and make your decoy one of a kind. I have used model car paint with very good results.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 08, 2019, 01:45:06 AM
This is a new member who ask about paint to touch up his decoy. So lets all be nice and respectful of what he ask regardless if you like decoy's or not ...Welcome to the forum new member ... just some bottles of paint from Walmart will work fine ... You know some people may hate the gun you use or the truck you drive , but no need to call someone out on it ... just enjoy the site ..
I don't see any post that was not nice. And no one said anything negative about the decoy or using it. Anyone that was offended by anything posted is wanting to be a victim, which is common here.