OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shotgun scope  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Woodhaven

Shotgun scope
« on: February 03, 2019, 08:41:51 PM »
Pros and cons of a shotgun scope? I’ve always used open sights

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Shotgun scope
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 09:08:30 PM »
Depends on what you are shooting.
Pros: no battery
           Magnification
           Light gathering ability.

Cons: looking like you picked a fight with Mike Tyson if you get improper eye relief or are shooting from an awkward position.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 09:24:51 PM »
Been "all pros" for me! Get the right scope, right mount and mounted right and done. Shooting a scoped gun for 20+ years.
It's the Circle of Death

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:17:24 PM by MK M GOBL »

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:29:01 AM »
All pros for me also. I've hunted Turkey's with a scoped gun for years now and wouldn't go back to iron sights.
I don't want to jinx myself,but I haven't had a miss sense.

Offline Woodhaven

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »
I use a scope on a rifle but if it kicks hard I usually wind up with scope eye and start flinching that’s what I would hate to start happening then I would miss.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 11:00:04 PM »
So back thirty years or so. A lot of shotguns shot close to point of aim. Then cam fiber optic sights, and super tight chokes.....

So for me shooting a .660 and custom shells they produce great patterns in 10" circle at 40 yards. My old turkey scope has a diamond head and neck fit in it... Within 40 yards.  Also the pattern at 20/30 size of ping/golf ball. With a scope it helps me have pin point aim.

Make sure you get a shotgun scope, because of eye relief. I haven't had a problem yet.... Knock on wood.

Good luck.

Offline Woodhaven

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 11:16:47 PM »
 :blob10:thanks

Offline Rick

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 08:39:05 AM »
  Guess im old and old fashion . Just been looking down the barrel at turkeys for 42 yrs .
Saved By Grace

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 08:42:40 AM »
Used a Simmons Pro-Diamond for about 5 years.  I really liked it and it can help pick out a hole to shoot through that you may not see with your eye.  Last year I went to a gun that shot bead and I enjoy that.  If I get a gun that needs a sight I will use a scope, but I prefer the bead if possible.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 06:16:51 PM »
Pro: Cheaper than getting new glasses.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 02:20:54 PM »
Lol i'm right there with ya! I started out using a plain old bead. As ammo and chokes got better and patterns got tighter and tighter i started using fiber optic sights. Then my eyes started having a hard time focusing both sights, and i started to use a red dot( had used them on my deer slug gun for years prior) Then, red dots started to look like Haley's Comet, and now i'm a scope user. All the sighting systems worked great, and i actually took my last gobbler with the open sights wearing my walmart "cheater" glasses. But i really like the scope, it's a bushnell dusk to dawn model for shotguns with "6 of eye relief, so no worries about getting whacked with a heavy recoiling gun. It is 1.75 to 4 power and i just leave it on it's lowest magnification for hunting. I mounted it with old style weaver rings (That can be easily removed with a coin if need be) and i leave the weaver base mounted to gun all year round. Before season i just reinstall scope and use a laser boresight to make sure its still close and then it only takes a shot or two to confirm zero. Love it!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 02:25:01 PM »
Lol i'm right there with ya! I started out using a plain old bead. As ammo and chokes got better and patterns got tighter and tighter i started using fiber optic sights. Then my eyes started having a hard time focusing both sights, and i started to use a red dot( had used them on my deer slug gun for years prior) Then, red dots started to look like Haley's Comet, and now i'm a scope user. All the sighting systems worked great, and i actually took my last gobbler with the open sights wearing my walmart "cheater" glasses. But i really like the scope, it's a bushnell dusk to dawn model for shotguns with "6 of eye relief, so no worries about getting whacked with a heavy recoiling gun. It is 1.75 to 4 power and i just leave it on it's lowest magnification for hunting. I mounted it with old style weaver rings (That can be easily removed with a coin if need be) and i leave the weaver base mounted to gun all year round. Before season i just reinstall scope and use a laser boresight to make sure its still close and then it only takes a shot or two to confirm zero. Love it!
They quoted me $750-$1000 for new glasses, I can't do that and get a vehicle on the road. The new scope and having the gun drilled and tapped is going to come to less that half the $750 I will get new glasses by deer season though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
Ouch! That is a real pain in the pocket for sure!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 03:46:40 PM »
Ouch! That is a real pain in the pocket for sure!
Had between 3-5 surgeries on my eyes when I was young depending on which relative you talk to. I remember 2 for sure and I think a third but I am not sure, I was so young they all kind of blend together.

John Koenig: