turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

-40° What to do

Started by MK M GOBL, February 01, 2019, 08:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Well with the weather here in WI just downright freezing cold what you going to do. Spent the day in the shop working on some displays. Have a couple of beard displays, a full fan/wing/beard/spurs/euro going out and did up some spur chains.

So family had some old barn board from the farm to use for this one!
and then these HOOKS, always such a difference once I have them cut, cleaned and polished.

https://www.facebook.com/FanaticTurkeyDisplays/

MK M GOBL

Gobspur

Nice work!  Same here. Got fan drying and just finished cleaning these.  2 more in freezer to do before spring!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gobspur on February 01, 2019, 08:41:16 PM
Nice work!  Same here. Got fan drying and just finished cleaning these.  2 more in freezer to do before spring!

Do you always pull your spurs caps? Do they lose color variation?

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Here's one of my chains!

Keeping natural color is a big thing for me, seen a guy who used to paint his black...

MK M GOBL

Gobspur

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 01, 2019, 08:46:27 PM
Quote from: Gobspur on February 01, 2019, 08:41:16 PM

Do you always pull your spurs caps? Do they lose color variation?

MK M GOBL
Yeah, most of the time I do.  And they do lose some color but I kind of like it.  I prefer the cleaner looker.  Heard some folks lightly paint inside cap, but never tried it.  These ones are about the lightest ones that Ive done.

davisd9

Move, what I would do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gobspur on February 01, 2019, 08:55:10 PM
Yeah, most of the time I do.  And they do lose some color but I kind of like it.  I prefer the cleaner looker.  Heard some folks lightly paint inside cap, but never tried it.  These ones are about the lightest ones that Ive done.

Those are sharp looking!

This guys looked awful and every spur was just "black" and then he covered outer cap with clear nail polish. I did my first 2 ever sets of spurs this way... don't like the way they look but was new to doing this and this is what he was teaching a "newbie" at the time.

MK M GOBL

Gobspur

Thanks.  Yeah I saw some pictures of painted ones like that.  Looked horrible lol.  I just clean em, peroxide to whiten, and leave natural.  Need you to school me on doing wings?, I havent tackled those yet. Done capes, but never messed with wings.  I really like your wings with tail fan.

Tail Feathers

Nice work.
Now get on some real estate sites and find you a place to live where a human can go outside in February! :whip2:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gobspur on February 01, 2019, 09:26:48 PM
Thanks.  Yeah I saw some pictures of painted ones like that.  Looked horrible lol.  I just clean em, peroxide to whiten, and leave natural.  Need you to school me on doing wings?, I havent tackled those yet. Done capes, but never messed with wings.  I really like your wings with tail fan.

No problem, can't say anyone taught me this but had been trial and error till I got them right. Did a lot of this learning on my own and started up my own "Displays" after getting a lot of requests from others do theirs.

I'll send you a PM

MK M GOBL

Harty

When you were at -40 we were at -60 wind chill. Colder then Antarctica they said. I just snuggled up to the fire reading one of Tom Kelly's books.

Nice spur work MK M GOBL and Gobspur. How many sets of Spurs would I need for a chain M GOBL.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Harty on February 02, 2019, 06:19:43 AM
When you were at -40 we were at -60 wind chill. Colder then Antarctica they said. I just snuggled up to the fire reading one of Tom Kelly's books.

Nice spur work MK M GOBL and Gobspur. How many sets of Spurs would I need for a chain M GOBL.

Hey Harty,

I do them at any stage, for me a "full" one is 10 sets, just the way I do then. On some of my displays they only have a single set from that bird.

Or these are some options (First 3 are my personal displays)

MK M GOBL

Chuck1443

sharp! I like this, good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Harty on February 02, 2019, 06:19:43 AM
When you were at -40 we were at -60 wind chill. Colder then Antarctica they said.

:) That was real temp, not with wind chill. But I know what you're saying.

MK M GOBL

tman74

Looks great guys. I know what I'm doing this eve lol.