turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unicoi versus NWTF nationals

Started by Harty, February 01, 2019, 06:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harty

Which one would you guys recommend to attend if can only go to one. Unicoi or NWTC nationals. I would be driving from Wisconsin.

PSEoutlaw07

All depends on what you're looking for. I have been to Nashville almost every year since 2012 and it has changed alot over the years. Basically all the custom call makers stopped going or at least buying booths at Nashville because they said its just too expensive, like between $900-1200 a booth. They said its not hardly worth it to spend that much on a booth to sell about the same price in calls. Nashville became more for outfitters, and the big companys like Avian, Primos, Mossy Oak...etc. Its a great place to go, don't get me wrong and alot of fun.
Unicoi is wayy smaller and strictly custom call makers. Alot of times they will let you take the call right outside in the parking lot so you can hear it outside. They just aint' sellin decoys, clothes..etc

Spring Creek Calls

I've been to both, for me it's Unicoi.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Greg Massey

Unicoi ... hands down .... I'm going to NWTF .... but Unicoi was awesome ..............

gaswamp

No comparison   :went to the nationals once and don't care if I ever go agn...I Tyr to go to Unicoi every year

guesswho

I've never been to either, but if Inwere to go it would be Unicoi.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hunter22

slicksbeagles1

UNICOI IS THE BEST! GET TO SEE AND TALK TO THE BEST CUSTOM CALL MAKERS IN THE COUNTRY

tomfooleryy

never been to either but I can say I have way more interest in the unicoi show than I do the nwtf show

ol bob

The NWTF is an event that you go see. Unicoi is a thing that you are a part of one night sitting around the fire place talking to the old masters of call making is worth more than all the NWTF events that you could ever go to.

Yoder409

I've been to (worked at) a bunch of NWTF Nationals.  It's a good time.  Lots to see.  Met a TON  of people I'd never have met otherwise.........    It's worth the trip to see.

Never been to Unicoi.   But that's gonna change.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

slicksbeagles1

Very well stated OlBob
Quote from: ol bob on February 03, 2019, 09:12:47 AM
The NWTF is an event that you go see. Unicoi is a thing that you are a part of one night sitting around the fire place talking to the old masters of call making is worth more than all the NWTF events that you could ever go to.

Boykin Hollow

I have not ever been to the nationals in Nashville but I will NOT miss out of going to Unicoi.  Have gone for the last 3 out of the 4 years it has been in existence.  Glad to hear from the previous folks that I have not missed out on much by not going to Nashville.

ddturkeyhunter

Can some one print out what Unicoi stands for, or is there more to the name. Never been to ether one but hope to some day. But life has been busy up to now ether I was hunting turkey or working, no time for anything else. Getting close to retirement, time to look at the bigger picture.

Sixes

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on February 03, 2019, 11:30:01 AM
Can some one print out what Unicoi stands for, or is there more to the name. Never been to ether one but hope to some day. But life has been busy up to now ether I was hunting turkey or working, no time for anything else. Getting close to retirement, time to look at the bigger picture.

Unicoi State Park is where it is held.