turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Those that have planted Chufa

Started by PSEoutlaw07, January 31, 2019, 05:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSEoutlaw07

I know turkeys love chufa, but my question here is how does the chufa affect them once spring is here and the gobblers have split up? Are the hens on it everyday still bringing the gobblers with them?
Just want to hear some personal experience from you guys that have planted  and hunted it during springtime

LaLongbeard

Never hunted over bait....Chufa is bait
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

PSEoutlaw07

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 31, 2019, 07:47:20 PM
So I guess it's fair to assume you would never hunt a deer over some clover or oats you planted in the ground either?

3bailey3

I planted it one year and it was dug up before the season ever started, they hit it hard in January and february

dirt road ninja

I have never planted it, but I would image if the patch was in a bird's range it would visit at some point in time. If not to eat then to socialize and be seen. 

turkeykiller22

I have hunted it and planted it before. Birds will use it every day and will bring birds with them.
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

chufagold

I planted it with great success. Think it's one of the best things that ever happened to turkey hunting!

LaLongbeard

Quote from: PSEoutlaw07 on January 31, 2019, 08:07:12 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 31, 2019, 07:47:20 PM
So I guess it's fair to assume you would never hunt a deer over some clover or oats you planted in the ground either?
You assume right I have never planted or deposited bait of any kind anywhere and have not had problems killing deer or turkeys. The hens come to the Chufas bringing the Gobblers not much sport. Tom Kelly wrote about the Chufa hunting crowd in a couple of his books. Really funny reading if you get a chance check it out.

chufagold

I love to hunt kill turkeys and yes they do give me problems doing it but the real reason most plant chufas is to help the flock on your land. Most people that will bash you or hate dont have private land and tractors and equipment to do so. The best thing they can do in this situation is say I dont need that to kill birds when in most cases they dont have that luxury. Just my thoughts and if you want to help your birds be healthier and happier plant away

LaLongbeard

Quote from: chufagold on January 31, 2019, 09:25:31 PM
I love to hunt kill turkeys and yes they do give me problems doing it but the real reason most plant chufas is to help the flock on your land. Most people that will bash you or hate dont have private land and tractors and equipment to do so. The best thing they can do in this situation is say I dont need that to kill birds when in most cases they dont have that luxury. Just my thoughts and if you want to help your birds be healthier and happier plant away
I have land and tractors I still would not hunt over Chufas. People that want to help the turkey populations on there lands plant foods that will sustain the turkeys thruout the year not plant a  patch of Chufas that once dug up an eaten are gone. How many of the Chufa patch sitters replant after they "hunt" over the Chufas lol.How much help to new born poults do you think Chufas are?  Most plant just enough to attract the turkeys shoot a few to show everyone how skilled they are and then forget all about the turkeys until it's Chufa planting time next year. Throwing out corn is baiting and so is hunting over Chufas the tractor doesn't legitimize the act. 

chufagold

actually they only eat chufa here in georgia for about the first week or so of the season. Usually plant about 3 acres and they start on it about mid November and feed until first week of April then done. U plant less than that and u will definitely never hunt on it because it's gone way before then. some times they stay on it all day in Jan and feb so I think it keeps them fat and happy through the winter so that makes me happy.

chufagold

You also must really care about the birds to plant it because u have to spend a grand in June. A month after the season is out and according to some people just move on to the next thing. Not for Chufa planters... we are committed to helping our flock and not just in it for the kill.. were still out there grinding away in the heat of the summer knowing that it will be another 6 months before they can start to eat it.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: chufagold on January 31, 2019, 09:54:05 PM
You also must really care about the birds to plant it because u have to spend a grand in June. A month after the season is out and according to some people just move on to the next thing. Not for Chufa planters... we are committed to helping our flock and not just in it for the kill.. were still out there grinding away in the heat of the summer knowing that it will be another 6 months before they can start to eat it.
Lol Yea that's why people that are so concerned about turkeys  plant something besides Chufas, something that would help the poults which has more to do with helping the population than sitting over a Chufa patch. I didn't know Chufas cost  1000.00 to plant....what's that come out to per pound of turkey meat lol.

chufagold

I think it actually does help the poults more than anything u can do for them. If their mom is super fat and healthy/less stressed through the winter then she is much more likely to produce more eggs which equals more poults. During the summer there really isn't anything you can do to help them because there is plenty to eat everywhere and when it does get cold in November they can eat chufa which starts the cycle all over again. Yes it very expensive when u factor in fuel/ weed killer before u plant/ seed/ a a few hundred dollars in fertilizer. I think it's the greatest thing you can do if u truly care for the wild turkey

PSEoutlaw07

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 31, 2019, 09:37:37 PM
Quote from: chufagold on January 31, 2019, 09:25:31 PM
I have land and tractors I still would not hunt over Chufas. People that want to help the turkey populations on there lands plant foods that will sustain the turkeys thruout the year not plant a  patch of Chufas that once dug up an eaten are gone. How many of the Chufa patch sitters replant after they "hunt" over the Chufas lol.How much help to new born poults do you think Chufas are?  Most plant just enough to attract the turkeys shoot a few to show everyone how skilled they are and then forget all about the turkeys until it's Chufa planting time next year. Throwing out corn is baiting and so is hunting over Chufas the tractor doesn't legitimize the act.
You said "how many chufa patch sitters replant after they have hunted it"
THAT is when you plant chufa,  AFTER the season is already over, while everybody else fishin and going to the beach in June the " chufa sitters"  are sweatin to death planting food for the wild Turkey, if you sweatin in June for turkeys, I'm sure you do other things for management as well