turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slugs through a modified choke?

Started by aclawrence, January 30, 2019, 02:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Hey guys, I'm going to go hunting in the morning and was thinking about switching it up a little. I've killed two deer with my bow and one with my rifle this year. I've never killed a deer with a shotgun and thought about carrying my 870 tomorrow. I've got a couple boxes of brennenke sabot slugs that say for rifled barrels. Could I shoot these things through my regular barrel with a modified choke? It's the most open choke I have. I probably want be shooting last 20-30 yds so I'm not to worried about the accuracy.  I've also got a box of buckshot that I'm sure would do the trick at that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

You need to worry bout accuracy. The choke was made for shot. The slugs for rifles barrels. No reason to shoot untested, unsighted in equiptment at a live animal.
Modified now is a restriction. A rifle barrel not so much so. I know the old foster style slugs were made to shoot through chokes but they were loose and inaccurate. They were made undersize for just this purpose.
Now if the shot is honestly 20-30 yards why not shoot buckshot. It'll def work but you STILL need to check. If not use your old tested gear

aclawrence

Was really just curious if anyone has experience shooting a sabot slug through a modified choke. I can go take some test shots this afternoon but I would like to know if the modified is too restricted for the slug before I do so. Not really looking for an ethics discussion. I'll keep researching.

Bowguy

Truth is buckshot will most likely work. The hunter ed instructor in me won't allow shooting w untested gear. Gotta check everything bud. You're trying to take an animals life. We need to respect them enough to be sure

Bowguy

Quote from: aclawrence on January 30, 2019, 02:41:22 PM
Was really just curious if anyone has experience shooting a sabot slug through a modified choke. I can go take some test shots this afternoon but I would like to know if the modified is too restricted for the slug before I do so. Not really looking for an ethics discussion. I'll keep researching.

If it says for rifled barrels it needs rifled barrels according to manufacturer. I don't think I'd even try that slug if it was me. If you just wanna kill a deer w shotgun believe me buckshot will do the trick especially at the ranges you suggested. You need to find where pattern fails to know effective range though if you wanna go little further

aclawrence

I appreciate your response. I never said I wouldn't shoot it first.  I'm just trying to make sure I don't screw something up while I am testing it.  I'm not sure if I can shoot the slugs through the mod choke.  I agree with respecting the animals.

aclawrence

Quote from: Bowguy on January 30, 2019, 02:46:22 PM

If it says for rifled barrels it needs rifled barrels according to manufacturer. I don't think I'd even try that slug if it was me. If you just wanna kill a deer w shotgun believe me buckshot will do the trick especially at the ranges you suggested. You need to find where pattern fails to know effective range though if you wanna go little further
I see your what your doing there. Trying to encourage me to buy a rifled barrel haha. That's actually a good idea.

Bowguy

Quote from: aclawrence on January 30, 2019, 02:47:23 PM
I appreciate your response. I never said I wouldn't shoot it first.  I'm just trying to make sure I don't screw something up while I am testing it.  I'm not sure if I can shoot the slugs through the mod choke.  I agree with respecting the animals.

Like I said I'd prob not try but here's a good answer. It's early. Get number and call slug manufacturer to ask. They'd know best

Bowguy

Quote from: aclawrence on January 30, 2019, 02:49:17 PM

I see your what your doing there. Trying to encourage me to buy a rifled barrel haha. That's actually a good idea.

Lol I'm not encouraging anything. It actually isn't a bad idea but I don't think you have that much time. You'd have to sight it too. Now that you mention it when I personally shoot slugs they're always from rifled barrels. In your situation I think buckshot is the answer though

aclawrence

Quote from: Bowguy on January 30, 2019, 02:52:18 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on January 30, 2019, 02:49:17 PM

Lol I'm not encouraging anything. It actually isn't a bad idea but I don't think you have that much time. You'd have to sight it too. Now that you mention it when I personally shoot slugs they're always from rifled barrels. In your situation I think buckshot is the answer though
I didn't mean for tomorrow, just in the sense like you can't have to many guns or gun accessories. I'll just buy me an extra barrel.

aclawrence

Quote from: Bowguy on January 30, 2019, 02:49:37 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on January 30, 2019, 02:47:23 PM

Like I said I'd prob not try but here's a good answer. It's early. Get number and call slug manufacturer to ask. They'd know best
Yes I should do that. Thanks. I'll have to swing back by the house and get the box in a little bit. I will let y'all know if I do find out anything.

Bowguy

1iagobblergetter

Sabots are for rifled barrels for a reason. The projectile is encased in usually two plastic sleeves which the rifling spins it going through the barrel with the plastic sleeves falling away after the projectile exits the barrel.
If your using just cheap foster type slugs I believe they say to use improved cylinder for a choke. Sabots always a rifled.
Ill reiterate.. As stated be ethical and sight your weapon in with the ammo your going to use before going hunting...Good luck..

aclawrence

Well I got a hold of lady at Brenneke but she said that the guys who could answer my question are out today because of the cold weather. Hmmm. I wonder if they might be out hunting. Anyway it looks like from the responses that I don't need to shoot these through my barrel anyway.  I did just remember a while ago that I do have a little Stevens single shot 20 ga that is a proven little shooter with slugs so I might go see if I can find some shells that will work with that gun. Thanks for the reposes.

roverboy

Here's another idea. Buy a rifled choke tube.
Listen for the gobble