turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nebraska Early Archery Season

Started by turkeyfool, January 29, 2019, 02:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfool

Buddy and I are planning on going to Nebraska early archery season (March 30-April 6). I'm well aware of the possibility of heavy snow or on the other hand beautiful weather. Worst comes to worst, we could go down to TN for their opener if need be.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nebraska early archery season? The initial plan is to possibility hit the few small chunks of public along the Niobrara and make our way north and west (I was in the Pine Ridge last year with no luck).

Anyone have any advice when it comes to the birds this early in the year?

Thanks

fallhnt

Most likely the birds will be on cattle ranches. Not as scenic but successful. I've hunted public early and have had success in the Pine Ridge. Birds seem to come in quiet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

turkeyfoot

Yup that early feed lots are gonna hold em and they will be in large groups

husker

I live in and hunt the southeastern part of NE.  The last couple of years I have seen a lot of activity the 2 weeks leading up to opening day.  In fact, we've had Toms running into the street to challenge cars.   My advice would be to use a DSD Jake decoy and keep him in close (5-7 yards).   I killed two 30 minutes after legal shooting light on opening day.  They came in on a string to beat the snot out of that Jake.   Good luck!

turkeyfool

Any of you all have experience knocking on doors in the north central part of the state around Valentine? We were thinking of sticking close to the river like I mentioned. If not, we're prepared to wing it on public. Plenty of it as you go west-I was in Fort Robinson last year at the end of April and birds were quiet

CAPTJJ

I was able to find some ranch property near water with birds by knocking on doors/phone calls, especially for archery. Took my first Merriam's in 2014 that way, (the rancher had died when I returned last year); then got 2 near the end of the archery season up on The Ridge near an area with lots of birds.

I do a lot of driving around scouting the public land and yes they are in bigger flocks and mostly on private but move a lot. The flocks will start to break especially if the weather is nice, then regroup as it gets nasty, cold and snowy again... from what I have seen. Pattern the birds and move in, DSD jake and hen set up as intruders along with calling help bring the birds to you. Last year I found them in two spots and got one at each, was 22F both mornings to start.