News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ol' Tom Time and Motion vs. Alpz Grand Slam

Started by SCGobbler, January 28, 2019, 05:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

I am sure some of you have used both.

I currently have a tactical tater 2 and I must say, it has the smallest pot call pockets I have ever seen; they are utterly useless.

When I hunt, I like to take the kitchen sink.

I hunt in the South Eastern US and am a gadget junky so I don't mind the kick stand albeit heavy.

I am just looking for general thoughts between the two vests.  Quality and organization are key.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

BMAC_Turkeys

Im interested to hear peoples thoughts as well.  Ive always like the look of the alps but picked on up and thought it to be too heavy

Gobble!

I had the Ol Tom I Beam and prefer my Alps over that vest. Ol Tom just seemed cheap. I had multiple issues with the sewing coming apart. Wasn't big on the black straps on that vest either.

NCL

I actually have both of these vests. I bought the Alps first and use it if I going to do any distance walking so I can use the build in unit. It is heavy so I bought the Ol Tom. I use then both and it depends where I am hunting and sometimes just my mood. I have not experienced the sewing failures but mine is only a year old

FLGobstopper

Quote from: SCGobbler on January 28, 2019, 05:08:09 PM
I currently have a tactical tater 2 and I must say, it has the smallest pot call pockets I have ever seen; they are utterly useless.

There was 1 year about 3 seasons ago that all the Tat'r II vests pockets were manufactured too small. I have one older and it's been my go to vest for a while. Bought a spare and it was one with the too small pockets issue. Returned it and picked up another last year. No more too small of pockets issue.

SCGobbler

Quote from: FLGobstopper on January 31, 2019, 10:26:25 PM
Quote from: SCGobbler on January 28, 2019, 05:08:09 PM

There was 1 year about 3 seasons ago that all the Tat'r II vests pockets were manufactured too small. I have one older and it's been my go to vest for a while. Bought a spare and it was one with the too small pockets issue. Returned it and picked up another last year. No more too small of pockets issue.
That would be about right.  I mean the pockets are so small on the slate pocket that it won't hardly fit a call the size of a lynches jet slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

tha bugman

I have had both.  IMO  Grand Slam- I did not like the frame...too much weight and it kept sliding up my back when trying to sit down.  Pocket layout was good.  Not a big fan of large horizontal pocket on the right side.  Cushion was comfortable.  I gave it to my brother who eventually just took the frame out.  He was actually trying to deploy the legs when a turkey he was working slipped up on him.  He came to my house not too happy.... >:( :angry9:
Time and Motion- I have had 3 Ol' Tom vests- 2 Essentials and 1 Time and Motion.  Very light weight, however did not like the way that they felt when loaded.  It seemed to me that it was just not sturdy enough to keep comfort with a bunch of stuff in them.  The seat was comfortable, but tended to slide on me when sitting down.  Also, the magnets holding the seat up were inadequate and anytime brush came in contact it would flop the seat down....I did have some issues with the stitching on the first Essentials I had, but all in all it held up well. 
I have a Tac Tater 2 and I have no problem putting pot calls in the pockets (then again I only carry one with me to the woods).  In fact, IMO it is the most well thought out vest I have ever had.  The one complaint that I do have, that can probably be fixed with adjustment is that the bottom part of the cushion is hitting me in the rear as I walk. Probably just need to tighten a strap or two.