turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 supermag issue

Started by Gobspur, January 25, 2019, 09:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobspur

Ive got an 870 bought new in 2013.  Three times now it has jammed after a shot on a bird.  When I pump it after the shot, it has fed a new round from the magazine up before the spent shell extracts, and they jam together.  I thought maybe I was short stroking it, but I have replicated the issue a couple of times when not hunting, and clearly did not short stroke it.  I've also shot about 30 rounds through it patterning, and never had the issue.  Only has happened with 3.5 inch shells.  I have taken apart and cleaned thoroughly.  Any ideas on the issue?  A spent shell by itself extracts fine, so I dont think its a chamber issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I've seen the same thing happen with a friends SM. He was shooting handloads and the spent shell swelled up just enough in the chamber that the extractor slipped over the spent hull when the forend was pulled back and the next shell came up causing a jam. It never happened with any factory load 3" or 3 1/2 just the hot handloaded shell.
The  newer Super Magnums are basically Express models and have a lot of stamped parts the extractor being one of them. It doesn't take a lot to wear them enough that they slip from time to time. You can get a Remington Wingmaster extractor that is a machined part or you can buy an upgrade from brownells or midway. Easy part to change and will save your gun from becoming a single shot at the worst possible time.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LaLongbeard

Midway USA has the upgraded extractor

Gobspur

Thanks man, maybe thats it. Its only happened with federal tss. I've had the extactor out and cleaned good, but what you mention makes sense. Definitely a cheap try to fix I'll go ahead and replace.  The times it has jammed its got the spent shell probably half way out of the chamber. Thanks again

LaLongbeard

Sounds exactly like what my friends did ,if you get a new extractor notice how much sharper the edge that grabs the brass is on the machined part. The stamped one is more rounded when new and it doesn't take long to start slipping and the shell being a little more stubborn will make it worse. There's several YouTube videos of extractor replacement probably a 3 min job tops .

Clydetaylor1

Mine does that if I cycle it to slow. If I go ahead and pump it faster it works fine. Will have to check out the extractor.

KentuckyLB

The Extractor is your issue.. been there done that with 3 different 870`s and friends and family`s. The midway upgraded part will fix the issue. Happened to me 2 weeks prior to going on a 10 day hunt in Missouri, figured it out as you did by asking on OldGoggbler :you_rock:

Gobspur

Thanks you all.  New extractor from midway should be here tomorrow.  I'll try to followup this post after I use the gun this season. 

This is a great forum.  Interestingly, I posted about this a couple weeks ago on a remington870 specific forum.  No responses...

Gobspur

Well got the new extractor installed.  Havent shot it yet, but it seems to grip the shells alot better.  You can see if you look close at the picture of the factory extractor, one side is rounded pretty good.  So that is likely the problem.

LaLongbeard

Yep. A new machined extractor will last a couple lifetimes. Stupid  that Remington would put  a cheap stamped part on such an important part of the gun. Plastic trigger guard no problem ....jammed gun different story.

Deputy 14

That's the number one weakness in Express models. There are a lot of differences between the wingmaster or police models but this is the one that should be changed.