turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Out of the box

Started by BB30, January 21, 2019, 04:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

Turkeys on my brain as we are getting closer to the best time of the year. What are some of the more out of the box things you have done while turkey hunting?

sixbird

Showing a wing to a gobbler. Tried to make it look like a hen stretching her wing...He came... :fud:

sixbird

Quote from: sixbird on January 21, 2019, 04:22:28 PM
Showing a wing to a gobbler. Tried to make it look like a hen stretching her wing...He came... :fud:

Have actually done that a number of times...

Kylongspur88

Busted up birds and called them back in....in the spring.

SD_smith

This past season I got to play puppet master. Was on a bald hill and the bird was gobbling on the other side of it. Poked my head over the top and seen him strutting just below. He hadn't moved for a hour or so. Took my hen decoy and held it above my head so he could see it and he started gobbling but wouldn't come. Then took my Jake and mounted him on the hen all above my head the whole time. His head turned red and he came running. Backed down on my knees real quick and the boy 12 year old boy I had with me shot him at about 10 yards. All we seen was his head like over the top and he let him have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad_Colvin

Used a plastic grocery bag to simulate the sound of leaf scratching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I have a "Wing Thing" I bought back in the late 90's and will beat it against my leg while doing a fly down cackle and then will scratch at the leaves to simulate landing and let out a couple of soft yelps. Have had decent luck doing that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Not sure if it's out of the box or out of the mind, but...........

Was calling a bird for my buddy who was in from outta state.  The bird just wanted to hang up down in a creek bottom.  So I left my buddy's side and crawled about 75 yards up the hill on my belly and lips...............the whole 75 yards was a POISON IVY PATCH............to call from behind.

Long story short.............it worked and my buddy slammed him as he came looking for me.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

2eagles

Staying in the box. Ground blind I mean. Now I know some of you guys are gonna give me grief, hunting in a blind with decoys, oh my! I hunt only small pieces of river bottom public land and when it gets tuff, I have sat in my blind from before sunup and finally shot a bird 14 hours later. It is not my favorite way to hunt, but it can work.
And to make people feel better, I have found more land I'll be able to run and gun without decoys and I can't wait.

Will

I will sometimes use a goose call to shock gobble birds. One private piece I hunt years ago a pair of low flying geese at daybreak flew by honking like crazy. Birds gobbled their buts off.

Happy

I once called one in and killed it. That's pretty abnormal.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on January 21, 2019, 08:10:38 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

bobk

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 22, 2019, 08:07:42 AM
Quote from: Happy on January 21, 2019, 08:10:38 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

GREAT  STUFF

fmf

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 21, 2019, 07:31:09 PM
Not sure if it's out of the box or out of the mind, but...........

Was calling a bird for my buddy who was in from outta state.  The bird just wanted to hang up down in a creek bottom.  So I left my buddy's side and crawled about 75 yards up the hill on my belly and lips...............the whole 75 yards was a POISON IVY PATCH............to call from behind.

Long story short.............it worked and my buddy slammed him as he came looking for me.

I crawled through some a few years ago but thought I was ok because I didn't have any exposed skin......it soaked through my clothes and I got the worst case of poison ivy that I've ever had.  I was covered from my chin to my ankles.  I didn't even kill the bird so it was no where near worth it.

TauntoHawk

Encountered a bird that liked to strut in the middle of a fields each day, if you called he would gobble like crazy while promptly walking the opposite direction. Finally a buddy and split up and he went on one side and called and called while I used a ditch the sounds of his gobbles to get into position on the other side of the field I didn't pop up until his gobbles were inside 40yds. We called it a turkey drive
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>