OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Osceola Hunt early/mid March...

Started by Smooth_Operator, January 20, 2019, 04:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smooth_Operator

Last year I planned on booking an Osceola hunt for this spring, but due to uncertainty with my work schedule, had to wait till the new year to confirm I would be able to go. Well now I've got some time in March but the guys I wanted to book with are filled up. Anyone know of some reputable guides that might have some availability still?

Hoping for south FL for a true Osceola, and yes I've googled some outfitters but wanted to get some opinions from some guys who have unbiased experience with someone down there. Thanks guys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

dejake

I hunted DC Cattle Ranch, great experience.

wade

Do it outdoors

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: dejake on January 21, 2019, 04:03:07 AM
I hunted DC Cattle Ranch, great experience.

Yeah I would love to be able to hunt with DC Ranch but I'm way late to the party with them. Think they usually book a year in advance...

Boykin Hollow

On the back of Lon Trice's business card, (Lonzo) he recommends God's Country Outfitters,  They have a website but I do not know anything about them other than the card says 98% success rate since 2008.  Maybe there is someone on OG that has used them.

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: Boykin Hollow on January 21, 2019, 07:17:28 AM
On the back of Lon Trice's business card, (Lonzo) he recommends God's Country Outfitters,  They have a website but I do not know anything about them other than the card says 98% success rate since 2008.  Maybe there is someone on OG that has used them.

I'll give them a look, thanks...

AndyH

Swamp gobbler outfitters. Doubt they have an early date available but they may have something late March. Give them a call

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: AndyH on January 21, 2019, 08:04:27 PM
Swamp gobbler outfitters. Doubt they have an early date available but they may have something late March. Give them a call

Yeah Swamp Gobbler was one of the first ones I checked out, according to their website they are booked up. Heard a lot of good things about them...

AndyH

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on January 21, 2019, 08:17:37 PM
Quote from: AndyH on January 21, 2019, 08:04:27 PM

Yeah Swamp Gobbler was one of the first ones I checked out, according to their website they are booked up. Heard a lot of good things about them...

I'll be there the last weekend in March with them. Last Time I talked to Charley I believe he said they still had an opening that weekend. Might give him a call

Smooth_Operator

Just got a call about a cancellation with Swamp Gobbler, thanks for the help guys, looks like it's gonna happen after all

Old Gobbler

The birds down here in south Florida will start gobbling sporadically at Christmas time .....if the weather is HOT and no wind for a few days by mid February they are in full swing and by season opener if there is no cold fronts...its red hot and tapering off

What I'm saying is ....book the first 2 weeks of the season ...there are some outfitters with good numbers of birds ...but trust me 35 seasons if hunting south and central Florida...by the time the 4th weekend of the season has arrived it's going down hill fast , and many of the" low hanging fruit gobblers" are dead , the rest well educated and or not interested about hens as much as 2 months before

I've killed them on the last day of the season , but I'm here to tell you 80%of the gobblers are shot in the first 14 days

If you want give 2k to some guy to hunt April 20th have at it , it's your $$, also if you think your shooting a real osceola 60 miles from the Georgia state line ...its your $$ again

I got tired of warning folks about the so called guides you see all over Facebook booking hunts a week before the season opener  and half thier stuff is public property/permits...some shady stuff out of a airboat .....again it's your $$ have at it ...there is 1,000 bumpkins down here trying to take your $$$ so be forewarned!!!

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

cracker4112

OG is right on.  The birds on my place in S. Florida have been gobbling since around Thanksgiving.  Heard several birds two weeks ago. Not hot and heavy yet but definitely will be soon.  I heard one gobble in north Florida last weekend deer hunting. You definitely want to try to come hunt as early as possible.  We still kill birds late season, but I wouldn't shell out outfitter prices unless I was hunting in March.

Smooth_Operator

Good info Shannon, and is spot on with everything I've researched. I got lucky with the cancellation as I'm booked to go early March, specifically March 9-11.

strutstopper

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on January 22, 2019, 07:54:32 PM
Just got a call about a cancellation with Swamp Gobbler, thanks for the help guys, looks like it's gonna happen after all

You'll have a blast! I wish I could afford to hunt with them every year.

Pig

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on January 24, 2019, 04:16:37 PM
Good info Shannon, and is spot on with everything I've researched. I got lucky with the cancellation as I'm booked to go early March, specifically March 9-11.

Good luck Smooth _Operator I'll be in South Florida March 11-13 so hopefully they'll be in the workable mood!!!