OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey population

Started by killentime, January 19, 2019, 10:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killentime

Good evening, I don't have a chance to get on here often anymore and this may or may not have been been discussed so if it has just delete. Have you guys noticed a tremendous drop in the number of birds in your hunting area? I have asked different people from around West Tn. and several others have noticed a big drop in numbers also. I would like to hear others opinions and thoughts on why and what can be done if anything. Thanks and Happy Hunting to all 

monty690

I hear mixed reports in middle Tennessee. Personally, while riding around, I've seen one hen since spring season closed. I haven't been to my hunting spots so hopefully they'll still be there.

nyhunter

Definitely Have seen a drop in My area of the Southern tier In NY, It seems to be that some area have decent populations, but not like the late 90's/ early 2000's tho.  I have hunted Maryland and Virginia and there both experiencing the same decline in the turkey population.   

I do not believe it's because of just one cause! I believe it's a combination of factors habitat , predator's , hunting , ...etc...etc

buzzardroost

Huge drop in my area, Northern Cumberland Plateau in TN. It's sad compared to the early 2000's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Our birds have taken a big dip but in areas they are experiencing a bit of an increase.  Nothing big but nevertheless an increase.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

There is an extended discussion on this very issue in the "Turkey Hunting Tips" section under "Midwest US turkey decline" (sorry, fellers, I am apparently not smart enough to figure out how to do the link thing....)

Regardless of the causes of the decline, there are two entities whose "job" it is to find out what the problem is and then to initiate solutions.  Those are 1) the wildlife agency of the state, and 2) the national organization that supposedly represents sportsmen's interests and concerns in this issue,...the NWTF.  Ask them what they are doing about it!

Gooserbat

Honestly I think you should ask the department of agriculture.  We've saw a direct correlation between increased chicken farms and documented viral outbreaks, and declining wild turkey populations. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wchadw

The number of birds on my property seemed to be way down. Last couple of years we have made a effort to remove predators. Trapping coons and possums. Killing hogs. I had good success with the coons and it really seems to have helped.

Bowguy

Where I hunt most Sussex NJ and southern N.Y. the birds are down from late 90s early 2000 a bunch. They seem to be rebuilding some but very slowly. South Jersey has a bird in every tree in some spots from what I'm told

turkeyfoot

Eastern part state doing better than west here I've not seen lot poults this past 2 summers so concerned

owlhoot

Mid to North central Missouri, haven't seen an increase. No turkeys seen where they have been seen in the past, year after year.  Deer hunting this year I saw a lot more coons than I saw turkeys.

LRD

I have saw a decrease overall in Middle TN the past few years.  We went from seeing big flocks in the winter time to hardly seeing any.  There are still plenty of birds in some areas but not as many overall.  I do think that we had a good hatch last year and seen many more poults and turkeys this winter along with several on trailcam.

BB30

Ms has definitely passed its prime but some of the reasoning are the numbers are just coming back down to what our states holding capacity should be. There are still plenty of birds but from what the old timers say it's nothing like it used to be in the late 80s early 90s to about 2000.

killentime

I appreciate the feed back guys

Sixes

Middle GA has seen a big decrease, west Georgia not as much decrease.