OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

LongBeard Rattle

Started by Whino83, January 18, 2019, 02:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whino83

First off I want to say I wish I had found this site a decade ago! Lol.

I just picked up a couple of boxes of longbeards to try in my rainy day gun on Sunday. I got a box of 3x1.75x5's and a box of 3x1.75x6's and upon admiring my new toys I notced some of the 6's you can here some shot rattling in the hull towards the end of the shell. I'd say half the box is like that. None in the box of 5's do that. Normally I wouldn't worry about this but with the resin and stuff it has me wondering if they're okay. Then again the resin is supposed to break once the gun is fired so maybe they're fine. I'm just curious what yalls experience is with this before I go to shooting them at the pattern board.
Trust, but verify (Ronald Reagan)
Mathew 6:34  Proverbs 3:5-6

Gobble!

I've heard others mention this and shoot them without issue.

Jrkimbrough

I've had LB shells that did that in the past and all have fired without any issue.

Whino83

Thanks fellas that's what I was thinking. I just wanted to be sure before I wasted $22.

davisd9

Have heard that some rattle but those that rattle do not pattern as well as those that don't because the resin in broken. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Whino83

Quote from: davisd9 on January 18, 2019, 02:55:57 PM
Have heard that some rattle but those that rattle do not pattern as well as those that don't because the resin in broken. 

That's what I wasn't wanting to hear, lol.

RUN-N-GUN

I've shot a both the ones that rattled and ones that didn't and I haven't seen an issue with patterns. If anything it may have a few more flyers but nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs Up

Quote from: Whino83 on January 18, 2019, 04:08:04 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on January 18, 2019, 02:55:57 PM

That's what I wasn't wanting to hear, lol.

I wouldn't give it another thought. Humidity, elevation, and temperature will be bigger variables than a few loose pellets.

Happy

Could use the shells that rattle for making sure your gun is on and hunt with the others. Just a thought if it bugs you

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Kylongspur88

I open the box at the store and give them each a shake. Never had a box that didn't have a few that rattled. I haven't had any issue with them but tend to place them in the magazine versus the pipe.

Whino83

I appreciate all of the reply's fella's. Between work and hunting public land my chances are numbered so I am very particular about everything. I ordered a new choke tube I'm waiting on that I'm hoping shows up tomorrow. If so I'll shoot up the ones that rattle in close when I'm pattering. I have high hopes for this ammo. I have no interest at all shooting beyond 40 yards but having a more dense pattern inside of 40 in the mountain laurel I hunt in would be great if my 870 likes them.