OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

double bearded young bird down in Ky

Started by Ky strutt n bust n, April 25, 2011, 10:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ky strutt n bust n

I have been hunting for about 12 years of my 19 years of my life. i have never seen a double bearded jake. until last week, on a thursday afternoon i had shot one. it was odd because that morning me and a buddy had hunted a new less pressured spot on a refuge close to the house and heard a bird gobble, got into position and just like every bird he was henned up, hit the ground and shut up. so that afternoon after i got off work we came in from the back side where we heard the gobbler that morning, sit there didn't make a call and at 655 pm we heard a cluck directly behind us and it just so happened to have a bright red head and black body. well neither one of us had a good time to turn around but i managed to swing around on the bird at 60 yards and shot him with my browning maxus accompanied with a jelly head and 3" hevi-13 #5. it was amazing shot. ran over to the bird and it had a 5" main beard and little over 1 1/2" second beard. but heres the catch, the tail fan was almost completely straight all the way around, which led me and my dad and buddies to believe it may have been a late hatch 2 years ago. had about 1/2" spurs. whats everyones else opinion on story and if this is a mature jake or a young young gobbler?

Roost Wrecker

Ky strutt n bust n

give me a sec to load them up. only pic i have is of the beards. it was raining and the bird was soaked and i was also.

Ky strutt n bust n

well i don't know how to upload them any other way. i transferred the pictures from my Iphone and it says the file is to large. it exceeds the 650 kb limit. any suggestions on how to make it fit?

HARDCORE

Quote from: Ky strutt n bust n on April 25, 2011, 11:36:07 PM
well i don't know how to upload them any other way. i transferred the pictures from my Iphone and it says the file is to large. it exceeds the 650 kb limit. any suggestions on how to make it fit?

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,10.0.html

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,6860.0.html

HC

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Basser69

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats on the dbl beard  :you_rock:

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Ky strutt n bust n

ok heres the picture of the two beards.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ky strutt n bust n

thanks Hardcore, for the URL links on how to downsize picture. it helped a lot

cannonball

Trevor2

Congrats. I killed a Jake two year ago with full fan. 6" beard, no spurs but full fan kinda odd
Strutstopper

Trip

Ky strutt n bust n

it was just odd. people say well should've left it for next year. well 99.9 % sure i'd never seen that bird again next year. we have floods and lot of other factors that play into role that would push that bird and plus it was on public land. so chances very slim for me to have seen that bird again next year.