OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Water bladder in vest?

Started by turkeykiller22, December 22, 2018, 08:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Does anyone use the bladder type systems while turkey hunting? I see the Alps vest has a pocket to put a bladder in. How does it impact you when setting up against a tree? Does it get in the way?

Thanks
Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

NCL

I have a Camelback water that is a separate unit from my vest. I only use it when I know I am walking a long distance so it has not gotten a lot use use but it does work great for hydration, especially later in the season when it get warm. I can not recall a problem when seated but for full disclosure I can not recall a time I used the pack and did much sitting.

Jrkimbrough

This will be my first spring to use one but I would think it would help cushion your back from my past water bladder experience when i used to mountain bike

I also puchased a collapsible platypus water bottle to try this spring as well. I hate the crinkle and popping noise of store bought water bottles

Gooserbat

20 oz bottle of water in my vest works for me.  No need to over complicate things.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Gooserbat on December 22, 2018, 11:02:00 AM
20 oz bottle of water in my vest works for me.  No need to over complicate things.
X2 you can buy one of the bottled water brands that don't crinkle a make noise, and your done. Besides I wonder how you clean those water bladders?
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Phillipshunt on December 22, 2018, 11:15:51 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on December 22, 2018, 11:02:00 AM
X2 you can buy one of the bottled water brands that don't crinkle a make noise, and your done. Besides I wonder how you clean those water bladders?
They are very easy to clean as a matter of fact, dish soap and water, you can either just use a washcloth depending on the size of your hand or buy the cleaning kit which is what I did and that also comes with a brush to clean the tube. Most of the time I just do soap and water and swish it about in the bladder and then turn the bite valve on and pinch it so soapy water can run through the tube and then I rinse to bladder and the tube the same way. I do like to use the brushes every third washing though. Oh and don't bother buying the fancy Camelbak tablets for cleaning, just use the tablets you use for cleaning dentures, they are basically the same thing and will save you a ton of money over the Camelbak tablets. You should not even need to use those that often unless you are not cleaning your bladder right or live in an area where things tend to get kinda funky real fast.

By the way I have used them in my bow hunting backpack but never for turkey hunting. I also bought a Camelbak last year for when I walk the trail and loved it, did not bother me at all sitting down and I had worried that the fact that I refrigerated the bladder overnight would make my back bother me as cold really tends to be something that gives me a problem but because of the design of the pack I had no problems at all and it was nice to sip on some cold water when I was walking. I do have to get new water bladder for the bow pack though as the Redhead one leaks. I will be getting one for my RNG-300 as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

davisd9

I like those smartwater bottles. Do not like the cost of a bottle of water of it, but they last and you can refill them many times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Don't care for the bladder , just more weight on your back and something else to make you hot ... I have tried them and i will keep using the water bottles , lot easier to keep water bottles ice down in a cooler in my truck...

bobk

Tried a bladder, did not care for it. A hard  water bottle is my choice.

Gobble!

Good topic. I'm considering switching to a bladder this year myself. There's been days where one water bottle isn't enough. I also think I'd like the weight in the back of my vest vs the side. After watching one of Dave's videos I realized what the pocket in the back of the Alps was for. Just need to figure out what size to get. I'd think 40oz would be plenty for the long hot days.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gobble! on December 22, 2018, 05:17:40 PM
Good topic. I'm considering switching to a bladder this year myself. There's been days where one water bottle isn't enough. I also think I'd like the weight in the back of my vest vs the side. After watching one of Dave's videos I realized what the pocket in the back of the Alps was for. Just need to figure out what size to get. I'd think 40oz would be plenty for the long hot days.
That 40 0z .. would be just under 3 pounds ... 16 oz. is 1.4 pounds

Ridge

I ran a bladder in the Alps vest all of last year, and was very pleased with it. It allowed me to carry 2-3x the amount of water (when needed) with better weight distribution versus a full bottle on the side of a vest. I wasn't a fan of the looks of the Alps bladder so I went with the 2 L Osprey hydraulics reservoir, and it fit as though it was made for the Alps. Dimensions were perfect and the handle worked well with the velcro strap in the Alps.

https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Hydraulics-Reservoir-2-Liter/dp/B017JFWYAC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545530254&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=osprey%2B2l&dpPl=1&dpID=41ASA0BazrL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Ross R

I have a 70 and 100 oz camelback bladder. I shove it in the side pocket of the vest. It weighs a ton but I am walking a long way in the Florida heat.  I tried it oN my back and was comfortable on the tree. I was always afraid I was going to pop it though.

Happy

Water bottle works fine for me. Having a bladder and that hose dohicky would just make me drink more than I need to and pack more than I need to.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

aclawrence

I bought a platypus system for last spring. I liked it a lot but I bought the 3 litre and it's too big. I also bought a camo hose cover of Etsy that was a pia to put on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk