OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

12-15

Started by davisd9, December 15, 2018, 09:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Was telling the family goodbye to go hunt a stand that a guy has saw a good buck on. When I was hugging my eldest boy he asked where I was going. Told him hunting and he said he wanted to go. We had the talk about how we had already used our doe tag and we would only shoot a good buck, was he alright with that? He said yes. I said we are not bringing the iPad or anything. He said that was fine. He then asked if we could go hog hunting instead. I said we would shoot a hog if we saw it but it would be whatever we saw first, buck or a hog.

We travel to Kershaw and park to walk back to a different stand than I originally was going to hunt the buck from as it was just a single man stand. We get to our plot that is off a couple beaver swamps. We get in the stand and are having a great hunt. We were there to spend time together but he was doing a great job sitting still and being quiet. He got the Binos out and started looking around. Around 5 I told him to sit down as things should be getting ready to start moving.

About 10 minutes later I catch movement to my right toward a feeder. There is a big hog coming in. I tell him to be quiet and slowly stand up as there is a hog. I get him up so he can see it but the hog gets spooky and starts to leave how he came, but made the mistake of stopping. We squeezed off the trigger and he dropped kicking, spinning in a circle. We were doing high fives when I notice a second hog coming in from the woods close to where the first was laying.

She comes in the plot looks at the dead hog and gets spooked but comes on to the feeder. She does not stop and circles like she is going back how she came. She stopped and we shot number two. The boy has wanted us to kill a hog together since we saw some this summer. We had gotten close one time but did not pan out. I think he would rather kill the hogs than a buck, lol.

Was a great hunt and I am proud of my boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Cool. Won't be long and he'll be shooting, I think ya ought to carry him along this Spring. A blind on the killing field.

dirt road ninja

Like the Batman car seat

KentuckyHeadhunter

Great story and good job killing those pigs.  May I ask where you are hunting?  Looks like where I hunt in GA.  Killed two nice pigs this year.  Congrats on wonderful day.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

davisd9

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on December 15, 2018, 09:39:49 PM
Great story and good job killing those pigs.  May I ask where you are hunting?  Looks like where I hunt in GA.  Killed two nice pigs this year.  Congrats on wonderful day.

I killed them in Kershaw, SC. Probably about 60-80 miles from Charlotte

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on December 15, 2018, 09:35:14 PM
Like the Batman car seat

He likes to ride in style.

guesswho

Nothing better!   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gobble!

Gooserbat

Congratulations on the Dad moment and the hogs.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

daddyduke

Congrats to Dad and Young man! Thanks for sharing.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Muzzy61

Congrats, How old is the young man?
My grandson turns 4 in Feb, thinking about taking him turkey hunting this spring.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

davisd9

Quote from: Muzzy61 on December 17, 2018, 03:38:07 PM
Congrats, How old is the young man?
My grandson turns 4 in Feb, thinking about taking him turkey hunting this spring.

He is 4 to be 5 in February. This is his second season in the stand. His first ever hunt we killed a nice doe and we killed one earlier this year. Thing we will have a lesson in the spring turkey woods this spring.

His first hunt ever last year:

Deer from this year:

Sir-diealot

That is cool that you were able to take your kid out and bring something home. Never met the woman I would want to have kids with so have none of my own but have always enjoyed taking my friends kids out.

I was supposed to go hog hunting in OK several years ago but they ended up getting record highs in the triples digits that year so we did not go as the meat would have spoiled by the time we got it in. (I was still walking with a cane back then and would not have been able to help bring it in.) Still hope to do it, maybe when I go turkey hunting in 2020 or 2021 My inline muzzle loader is still down there as a matter of fact, never sent it back to myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tomstopper

Awesome. Great family bonding right there..... Congrats

Chris O

Quote from: tomstopper on December 19, 2018, 01:01:43 AM
Awesome. Great family bonding right there..... Congrats
X2