Camo

Started by Bowguy, December 11, 2018, 04:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Glad I am wearing good camo then. :)

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

Quote from: warrent423 on December 17, 2018, 10:41:10 PM
It's amazing what you can get away with when hunting "pet" turkeys and deer. ;)
Not exactly sure where you're going w this but I think you're maybe referring to urban deer compared to wilderness deer? Here's my take if that's the case. I've hunted both. Those in closer proximity to humans become much more sensitive to anything, certainly movement.
Wilderness deer expect nothing and seem to react much less.
If you're referring to non hunt areas where animals feel no pressure there's plenty of cases like Yellowstone, certain towns, etc where deer, elk, antelope, etc walk right into town and hang out w the locals or tourists can walk right up to them.
If I'm wrong on your post forgive me

GobbleNut

I get what you're saying.  I wouldn't use the term "pet" so much as "conditioned".  Again, any animal's life experiences dictate how they act.  As for the "human interaction" element, any animal can become conditioned to not see humans as a threat if that animal's life experience has shown them not to be.

Even in the same localized area, different flocks or herds of the same species will behave entirely differently based on the perceived danger that humans represent.  The "pet" turkey on one property may have a brood-mate that has taken up residence on an adjacent (hunted) property that will skedaddle at the first hint of human presence.

Bowguy

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 18, 2018, 08:03:37 AM

I get what you're saying.  I wouldn't use the term "pet" so much as "conditioned".  Again, any animal's life experiences dictate how they act.  As for the "human interaction" element, any animal can become conditioned to not see humans as a threat if that animal's life experience has shown them not to be.

Even in the same localized area, different flocks or herds of the same species will behave entirely differently based on the perceived danger that humans represent.  The "pet" turkey on one property may have a brood-mate that has taken up residence on an adjacent (hunted) property that will skedaddle at the first hint of human presence.
Very good way to put it.