News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening morning gobbler down!

Started by perrysbirds, April 25, 2011, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perrysbirds

One for the crusaders!!!
Well I must say what a fantastic day and opener I had in the turkey woods.I guess Igot to my spot about 5:15 and got setup.I will say its great to get back in the woods on a spring morning and listen to everything wake up around you.Anyways the first thing that greeted me this morning was 3 deer...the stomping and the snorting kept me amused for about 15 mins I guess.
Well at around daylight and beyond I didnt hear a gobble...lots of geese and crows doing thier thing but no gobbling..
I was getting kind of discouraged as I looked at my clock on my cell phone and noticed in was almost 9:30..
I thought to myself its time to move around on this property and see if I can make something happen as I know I have birds here somewhere but also I knew the birds have been very quiet around here this spring.
I decided to move and took the chance of being seen but I get setup where I think they may have roosted right down by the river(Nottawasaga) and gave a few yelps on the mouthcall and sure enough from a far distance I hear multiple gobbles.Im thinking to myself "Right on" but after another few trys with the mouthcall I didnt get any response.Then I out of my vest comes the QB Hurricane Box call as I thought I needed something loud to reach those birds even though I knew they heard me call with the mouthcall.I pounded on the hurricane and sure enough I hear two or three birds gobble and they were coming closer.Another few mins went by as I put the calls down and got my gun on my shoulder and sure enough I see 3 longbeards coming through the bushes very interested in my buckwing bobblin head decoy as it felt forever.These 3 longbeards would not give me a shot as they stayed so close together and I didnt want to take the chance of doing something I knew I wasnt allowed to do so at 30 yards with the pattern I have using the puregold choke and the hevi-shot shells they sperated enough and the remington 870 roared..
Not my biggest bird but a cool hunt for sure.He weighed in at 17 pounds with matching 1 inch spurs and a small 6 3/4 inch beard..
Sorry guys my scale that i bought at bass pro kinda bummed out on me and wouldnt work but I can assure you that the bird weighed 17 pounds..
Time to bring that scale back to bass pro as I bought it just for this purpose.. not sure what the total score would be...

If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

a-j calls

hookedspur

GREAT job its tough in So.Eastern Ohio me and my buddy has hunted between torrential downpours 4 days and he got one Easter morn before church.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

anthonyjhallen

Awesome.  Its been a few years since I blasted one on opening day.  What a great feeling that is.

Congrats.

BOFF

WOOHOO!! An opening day bird!!

Way to get it done!!!!

God Bless,
David B.

bowhunter84

Woodsman4God