OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey hunting Hawaii any advice?

Started by chcltlabz, November 29, 2018, 08:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chcltlabz

I'm going to be in Kona the second week of March.  Not going for turkey hunting, but it sure seems like a great opportunity to hunt while I'm there.  I've looked up a few outfitters and looked at the public land there as well.  Anyone have any tips or outfits they'd recommend?
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Britton40

I've heard good things about the Parker Ranch.

stinkpickle

I would probably do Parker Ranch, as well. 

cuttinAR

I've hunted Parker Ranch and you won't have a problem filling a tag there.  Ask them to drive you up the volcano after the hunt.

Greg Massey

I would definitely have some of those pineapple drinks...

sharpspur

I hunted the Big Island last March. I hunted with a friend Jon Sabati there. He does some guiding but only on weekends and stays booked up a couple years in advance. I would suggest the Parker Ranch at this point. That or do it yourself on public land. The only problem with do it yourself is you don't want to take a gun there. They must be registered with the police as soon as you get there. Lots of birds and a great hunt.

perrysbirds

Check out or contact Ray Eye he goes there Turkey hunting
If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

davisd9

Quote from: perrysbirds on December 17, 2018, 08:36:32 AM
Check out or contact Ray Eye he goes there Turkey hunting

He hunts with Jon Sabati.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GobbleNut

My advice is to take good footwear and watch every step you take.  The entire island is nothing but a giant lava flow covered with thick vegetation in many cases.  That vegetation hides a considerable number of "booby traps" that will try to cut you up, twist an ankle, or break a leg.  You don't have to take your most expensive waterproof snake-boots, as you could easily ruin them in the lava,...but good hiking boots that will protect your feet are a must in a lot of places there.

BBR12

Be in pretty good shape if you are going to hunt the public. Me and a buddy did it last year and like was said before it is all up hill and rough. The Parker ranch is unbelievable. We rode through a few miles of it and it was like a turkey farm. Every field had multiple groups of gobblers. We met up with John Sabati and ate some Poke' for lunch one day he is a nice guy but stays booked up 1-2 yrs in advance. It is a slight pain to take a gun but not too bad, gonna cost you a few hours one morning to get it done. If you decide to do public I can give you some pointers just PM me.