OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Interesting Conversation!

Started by guesswho, November 17, 2018, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I would say next weekend cut your post to size in 1" increments, dive the post with a hydraulic attachment on a skid steer and maybe have a concrete truck drop by to help anchor it. Don't forget some good tunes while you work and crank it to 11. When your done you could also go look for anther hog to put in the rear naked chokehold.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

A squealing pig might be a bit much :TooFunny:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

eggshell

Is he parking on your property and blocking your access? If so I would call the sheriff and have it towed. I too am a easy going guy, but I have no tolerance for fools and asshats. I would not intentionally spook his deer, but  if he ever thought it was Ok to stop and lecture me on my own property than we'd have issues and he'd understand real quick. I mean seriously his ethics and moral character are flawed. I absolutely would call the sheriff if he blocks the drive next week. He has to be trespassing unless he has a right-of-way. Even with a right-of-way he cannot block access.

guesswho

Yes, he was on my road and more or less had me blocked, although I did manage to get around him.

This just got better. The guy complained to the land owner who I've known for over 30 years. The land owner called me and apologized for the way the man handled things. He said he went with the guy to his stand with him the same way he goes when he hunts to see what the fuss was about. The landowner told me the guys stand isn't just off the property line, it's actually on my side by about 10 feet. He told the guy to get his stuff and to not come back and that he would be getting his money back. I told the landowner that him being just over the line was no big deal, That I was just disappointed in the guys attitude. I also asked the landowner to inform the guy that I have asked him not to kick him out. Maybe hunt other stands on weekends if me tending to my property bothers him. I hate to see the guy lose a good place to hunt because of one sour conversation. I don't know if the land owner will tell him or not. The landowner did say the guy is a tool.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Quote from: guesswho on November 19, 2018, 02:24:28 PM
Yes, he was on my road and more or less had me blocked, although I did manage to get around him.

This just got better. The guy complained to the land owner who I've known for over 30 years. The land owner called me and apologized for the way the man handled things. He said he went with the guy to his stand with him the same way he goes when he hunts to see what the fuss was about. The landowner told me the guys stand isn't just off the property line, it's actually on my side by about 10 feet. He told the guy to get his stuff and to not come back and that he would be getting his money back. I told the landowner that him being just over the line was no big deal, That I was just disappointed in the guys attitude. I also asked the landowner to inform the guy that I have asked him not to kick him out. Maybe hunt other stands on weekends if me tending to my property bothers him. I hate to see the guy lose a good place to hunt because of one sour conversation. I don't know if the land owner will tell him or not. The landowner did say the guy is a tool.

Oh man that's rich.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

larry9988

Just shows that it pays to be nice to people. I have found that it is always better when you can get along with your neighbors because you will probably need them one day. You have a good attitude hating this guy lost his hunting privileges even after he was rude to you. He parking, blocking your road, was not a good move on his part, he also should have been sure he was where he was supposed to be  before he went complaining to the landowner. I probably would have done just what your neighbor did. He knows that if you two guys have had a good neighbor relationship for all these years, it's not worth jeopardizing that for a few dollars.

1iagobblergetter

I Love a good happy ending.... :icon_thumright:

eggshell

This post has made me think of something and i'd like to ask the forum about it.

I like to fall turkey hunt and I have to say I have had more hunter conflict during fall turkey season and it is always with deer hunters....some of them do not think anyone but them are allowed in an area, regardless of permission or ownership. I understand they think I am spooking their deer, but what am I to do. My family also owns approximately 1,000 acres of farm and forest land. Deer hunters have been the source of most of our problems there as well. From trespassing to damage to having to referee disputes, we have openly discussed stopping all deer hunting. We do not have this issue with any other group. What makes deer hunting so contentious? Is it the trophy aspect that attracts asshats? I have widdled it down to one small group of guys on my land that are great guys and respect my wishes. Still every year they have problems running into people from neighboring properties, especially lease holders. Oh I hate land leasing with a passion, give an asshat enough money and he gets sole access to land he'd never get any other way....good ole American greed! I once had a guy in a deer stand threaten to shoot me for spooking his deer on a state forest, he plainly said I should not be turkey hunting on his spot! I am not proud of my response, but I unzipped and pissed right in front of him. I also told him only a fool threatens a man with a bow that is holding a gun. Next he learned I was a DNR employee and had some pretty powerful connections. Direct harassment of a hunter is against the law in Ohio. Ok I feel better for my rant.

NCL

Quote from: eggshell on November 20, 2018, 07:29:12 AM
This post has made me think of something and i'd like to ask the forum about it.

I like to fall turkey hunt and I have to say I have had more hunter conflict during fall turkey season and it is always with deer hunters....some of them do not think anyone but them are allowed in an area, regardless of permission or ownership. I understand they think I am spooking their deer, but what am I to do. My family also owns approximately 1,000 acres of farm and forest land. Deer hunters have been the source of most of our problems there as well. From trespassing to damage to having to referee disputes, we have openly discussed stopping all deer hunting. We do not have this issue with any other group. What makes deer hunting so contentious? Is it the trophy aspect that attracts asshats? I have widdled it down to one small group of guys on my land that are great guys and respect my wishes. Still every year they have problems running into people from neighboring properties, especially lease holders. Oh I hate land leasing with a passion, give an asshat enough money and he gets sole access to land he'd never get any other way....good ole American greed! I once had a guy in a deer stand threaten to shoot me for spooking his deer on a state forest, he plainly said I should not be turkey hunting on his spot! I am not proud of my response, but I unzipped and pissed right in front of him. I also told him only a fool threatens a man with a bow that is holding a gun. Next he learned I was a DNR employee and had some pretty powerful connections. Direct harassment of a hunter is against the law in Ohio. Ok I feel better for my rant.

I have seen this repeatedly thought out the years that access to hunting spot and sometimes even fishing get ruined because of a few jerks. It really comes down to respect, if someone gives you permission to hunt or access their property then a person should view the permission as a huge gift. The owner has trusted you to treat his property  the same way he would treat his property. You are right though that as soon as money becomes involved everything changes.

NCL

You are a nice guy, what a positive attitude you have. It sounds like the land owner may have already had issues with that guy.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on November 20, 2018, 07:29:12 AM

I have much the same problem, my landlords kids allow me to hunt their land for turkey in the Spring and gun hunting in the Fall but I have asked about bow hunting and it is absolutely out of the question. Due to that response I am sure turkey hunting in the fall will also be out as it runs along with bow season and into the first week of gun season. Like somebody else has stated though when somebody gives you permission to hunt their land it should be treated as a gift. I have hunted other land before but nothing near as good as this land is and I do not want to do anything to jeopardize that so I follow their wishes. I have offered to buy then seed and whatnot to plant on the land as a way of saying thank you but they always say no. I am going to buy some for them this Spring anyway. Oh I asked if I could camp out for a few days in the Spring and was also told no because I would scare the turkey away. I just wanted to A. See if I could camp again now that I have better meds B. Try to put some turkeys to bed and C. save some money on gas. Once again their land their rules and I am grateful to be there.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jrkimbrough

If he was hunting 100 acres or so I might understand why he'd be a little irritated but the fact he's hunting that much property then chooses to hunt so close to you is his own fault.  There is NO excuse at all in my opinion for pulling up on someones property and blessing them out unless you physically but him in danger by shooting towards him or something like that.  He sounds like a jerk!  I'd have his truck towed next time he parked in your drive to your property.

Sixes

Sounds like the landowner might be glad this happened.

GobbleNut

Okay,...I'm callin' BS on this whole story.  First of all, there can't possibly be anybody that is as big a D!psh!t as you make this guy out to be,...and second, there can't possibly be anybody that would be as nice to the guy as you have been.  Yeah,...gotta be BS!   ;D
You keep this up and I'll have to stop calling you a Goob....   :toothy12:

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on November 21, 2018, 07:59:25 PM
Okay,...I'm callin' BS on this whole story.  First of all, there can't possibly be anybody that is as big a D!psh!t as you make this guy out to be,...and second, there can't possibly be anybody that would be as nice to the guy as you have been.  Yeah,...gotta be BS!   ;D
You keep this up and I'll have to stop calling you a Goob....   :toothy12:
Good thing I took my meds before I left the house that morning. ;D
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff