OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Interesting Conversation!

Started by guesswho, November 17, 2018, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Had an interesting conversation this morning with a guy that hunts the 3500 acres that joins my 184. I met him last year at my gate before season. First impression was he's either arrogant or shy. Walked around like he smelled something on his upper lip all the time. Any way today is opening day of the Alabama gun season. I get to my property about 8:30. This guy parked right in the middle of my road about 100 yards from my front yard. I was able to drive around him but had to drive through some brush. I rather he not do that, but whatever, no biggie. His stand is about 20 yards off my property line, which I have no problem with because he is on his side. But I don't understand why he wants to hunt less than 20 yards from my property and less than 150 yards from my trailer when he has 3500 acres. Again no biggie.

I go out on the weekends and pull my camera cards, and do any work that needs to be done etc. My gate post rotted in to, which is about 50 yards from where he parked and maybe 70 to his stand. He's over a hill and can't see me but can surely hear me. I took a hammer and beat the clamps down so I could get the gate off. Then put a wrench on the big screw hinges that the gate sits on and beat them with the hammer to get them off. Also had to pry out the staples to release the barbwire. Then I did several other things that needed to be done. Started my generator etc. Rode my 4-wheeler to check my cameras and came back and did a few other little odds and ends. I was about to leave and I heard his Jeep start. He then rode into my yard and got out and explained to me how rude I was and he didn't appreciate all the noise I was making. He had waited all year for opening morning and I had ruined it for him and he would appreciate me if I would keep it quiet in the future if he's hunting blah blah blah. Now I'm easy to get along with and pretty dang generous but that didn't set well with me. I told him to blank off among a few other things. Then after I thought a minute I told him I'm a reasonable man and will take into consideration what he had said and I'd get back with him. I hope he's not hunting next Saturday, I'm putting the new pole down and mounting my gate back on. I'm not sure how I'm going to keep that chainsaw quiet when I cut the pole off to the right length. How would you handle someone telling you to keep quiet on your property while they're hunting?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tail Feathers

My lease has a guy next to the north property line who shoots every day.  I mean every morning and every evening just before dark. 
Sometimes a few rounds, sometimes 50 or more rounds.  I don't know if he does it all year, but he sure does it during deer season.  I don't know if he's practicing a jerk trying to scare the deer off.

But he does it so much the deer are used to it and they don't even flinch when he's doing his thing.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Kylongspur88

I'm all for being neighborly but it's your land so by God you can do whatever you want on it. If he's going to hunt your line but complain about noise he should start wearing earplugs. I'd tell him to go pound sand.

Chris O

Sounds like a jerk. I would make it a point to be even noisier next time. Maybe he will move farther from you

Sixes

You should show him the picture of the buck you killed, I bet that would really make him happy ;D

You could put out a trail camera on the property line and check it every time he is hunting, that should send the message that it is your property and not his

SteelerFan

If I hunt once next to a noisy neighbor, I'll blame the neighbor for making noise. If I hunt there again, I'll blame myself.

If he extends an invite to hunt his property, then maybe I'd consider not making much noise while he is hunting. Otherwise, I wouldn't give it a moment of consideration.

Sir-diealot

I really do see both sides of the argument, I hunted land that was wonderful until they started to let a Mennonite guy farm it, first he cut down a swale field that had been there for years when the owner had told him not to and now the deer are not there like they were, okay maybe a mistake, but then he started to come back into the fields where we were hunting every single year on opening day and at first light, he would not come any day but opening day so it was clearly intentional.

The only reason I bring this up is that I can understand him being upset about opening weekend, but if that is the only time you have to do it then he needs to grow up, be a man and deal with it. He has tons of other areas he can hunt from your description, so he could have easily moved to another spot.

I don't think saying what he said was necessarily wrong, but by the sound of it the way he said it was completely the wrong way. Like you said you are neighborly and maybe something could have been worked out for the future so that would not happen but he created a hostile situation by the way he addressed it. I don't know, I would see if it can be worked out among the two of you, you are neighbors but if he continues to act this way I would go ahead and tell him to pound salt and if he does not like it I would post up my land and tell him he can't even set foot on the property to retrieve a deer without permission, depending on how badly he acted I might even claim the deer as my own as would be my legal right though I would rather not go that way as it is not very sporting. Just my thoughts. I do hope you guys end up becoming friends.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

SinGin

Next Saturday, daytime firework display.

larry9988

It's your property, you can do whatever you want to on it. If he truly has 3500 acres to hunt, he shouldn't be that close to the the property line, but once again, if he stays on his side, there's nothing you can do about that either. It seems that property lines always draw hunters. I had an issue with a guy that used to hunt on the property next to me. He would put his stand on the tree one foot on his property side with his stand looking over onto me. Warden told me there was nothing illegal about that until he put his foot on my side of the property line. Do what you have to do on your side. If it becomes too distracting for him, he will eventually move. When he put his stand so close to your property line, he took the chance of being disturbed by your activities. I would not go out of my way to annoy him, or disrupt him, but if I truly need to do something on my own land, I surely would.

Jroddc

If he's got that much land he should have no problem finding a spot just as good or better than where he's hunting now, far enough away that he can't hear any noise you make on your property. Sounds to me like he made a poor choice on where to hunt if he wanted silence.

NCL

To put this in perspective he has about 5 1/2 square miles to hunt and he and he has the audacity to come on your property and call you rude for working on your property. If he did not like the noise why did not he just move to the other side of the property where he probably would not have heard it? You must be a patient guy. 

renegade19

He was in the wrong.  Simple as that.

guesswho

Quote from: NCL on November 18, 2018, 09:04:08 AM
To put this in perspective he has about 5 1/2 square miles to hunt and he and he has the audacity to come on your property and call you rude for working on your property. If he did not like the noise why did not he just move to the other side of the property where he probably would not have heard it? You must be a patient guy.
Yeah, not to much bothers me.  More important things than a deer or turkey.  Most things roll of me like water off a ducks back. 

Where he's hunting at would be considered the far backside of their property.   The only thing I can think of is he's a fisherman.  He's used to putting his boat in the water on the North shore then heads
heads all the way across the lake to fish the South shore.  While people who put in on the South shore head for the North side of the lake to fish.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

1iagobblergetter

I would have been set off when the guy parked in the road and expects you to figure out how to get through. I don't have much time for people who act entitled. I wouldnt go out of my way to irritate the guy,but I also definitely wouldn't tip toe around him either.

Gooserbat

There is a lot I'd tell him... first how to park, second I'd remind him who pays the taxes on my land.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.