News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Birds pecking salt block

Started by Timmer, November 14, 2018, 03:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hello all,

My neighbor puts out corn for turkeys and deer but he also put a salt block out just recently.  I was surprised to see a couple of turkeys pecking at it for quite a while today.  Are turkeys pecking salt blocks a normal occurrence?  Even in winter?  Just curious about their habits and what they like to eat.

Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

guesswho

It may be common but I've never personally seen it.   I wouldn't think it would be good for them.  Only thing I can figure is they eat small rocks and gravel to help the gizzard process what they eat.   They may be pecking off pieces of the salt block for the same reason.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MK M GOBL

Just need a "hot pepper" block too, starting to season them from the inside out :TooFunny:

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Turkey's visit my salt lick all the time , i get lot's of pictures of them... so for you guys who haven't seen or try it , maybe you should ....

West Augusta

I see lot's of Mourning Doves, squirrels, ground hogs and deer at my salt stump.  Haven't seen any turkeys yet.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.