turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Illinois Foggy Morning Gobbler Goes Down! Pics

Started by heathwesley, April 25, 2011, 03:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heathwesley

Saturday morning April 23rd I had a chance to get out and hunt on a new piece of property I received permission to hunt.  This was my first time hunting alone this season so I packed decoys gun and all in with me.  I walked out into a big CRP field in the dark and started looking for a place to set-up.  I had come out and done a small amount of scouting on this property so I had some idea of where turkeys may likely be roosted.  There is a small field that extends off one side of the bigger field that extends to the beginning of a ridge I thought may be a good place to start off.  I had to cross a fence and just as I did I heard a bird gobble and not far away.  It was still pretty dark and very foggy.  I just stood for a moment waiting for another gobble so I could get a good bead on where this bird had gone to bed.  He gobbled a couple minutes later and I went ahead and snuck up another 50 yards or so and found a nice spot to set up.  I had my pretty boy decoy out in the field and he gobbled off the roost about every 30 seconds or so.  Finally I heard him gobble and he sounded a little further away and on the ground.  It seemed a little early and dark for him to be on the ground but I think the fog was causing it to look that way.  I purred and putted twice and yelped once and no answer.  Then out of no where he just gobbles his head off and I could tell he was in the field somewhere direclty in front of me but through the think fog where I could not see him.  Finally after a few minutes I could see him coming.  Once he saw my decoy he strutted and gobbled all the way in.  I killed this bird at 6:05 and was home before 6:30.  It was a short hunt but an amazing one.  He was one of my best birds ever.  23 lbs 11 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch spurs.  One of my future turkey hunting buddies in the pics with me.  My Son!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hognutz

Good job.. Nice story. The pictures are outstanding. Your son is a little darling. Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bowhunter84

congrats!   great picture of you and you son :icon_thumright:

turkey slayer

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

doepee

Nice bird and a quick hunt, thank goodness for the fog!! ;)

mossy835

Congratulations on the hunt and looks like a future hunter there?

Reloader

njdevilsb

TRKYHTR

Congrats on a nice turkey and cute little boy.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

WyoHunter

Great bird, great pics! Congrats to you and the little hunter!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Basser69

Congrats on a great bird! Nice story, thanks for sharing  :you_rock:

boomer

csgrizz

RIO GRANDE MAN