turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pruning shears?

Started by turkeykiller22, November 04, 2018, 05:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crghss

I never heard of anyone carrying shears.

I'll definatly have to think about it.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

PALongspur

Another vote for the Florian Ratchet Cut. I've carried a pair for close to 20 years now, won't leave home without them!

vt35mag

I love the Primos small bypass pruner, always have a pair in my vest.  I am not usually having to cut anything very heavy though.  Usually <1in diameter beech or striped maple whips. 
I use the Gerber Myth ratcheting pruner on larger stuff, and really like those as well.

Rosylyinter

Good day to you all. I want to share with you a story that may be of interest only to true connoisseurs of scissors. I used to use old scissors because I could not find better ones. Furthermore, I tried to replace them with new ones, but they all turned out to be much worse than my old ones. And then one day, an excellent friend of mine advised me to buy some nice gardening shears. So I decided to try again to replace my old shears. It was without any hope, but you know, I was wrong. I finally got lucky, and I got the best scissors. They are convenient, very cool to use. So now my old scissors will be a rarity.
https://www.hausandgarten.com/products/haus-garten-enduro-titanium-bypass-pruning-shears

Dtrkyman

Have a pair of Gardeners friend pruners I bought of Amazon, pretty sweet and they are light weight.  Never used them until 5 or so years ago, not a lot of trees to sit against when hunting Nebraska so you need to prune into those cedars often.

Other Midwest states have a lot of green briar or multi floral rose that gets pretty gnarly!

jhoward11

2' handle in the blind bag and hand held in the vest. Nothing fancy, just some Rural King snips.

bbcoach

I always have a pair with me.  They are in my vest and I've never had a problem with them making a hole.  Early in the season, I use them to build a make shift blind since cover is hard to come by.  By the end of the season, after leaf out, they get used to open up shooting lanes when it seems everything is in the way.  GREAT tool IMO.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tail Feathers on November 06, 2018, 07:40:39 PM
I often carry a pair of Gerbers in a nylon case.  Sure is handy for making up a quick natural blind where you need one.  They probably got me my Alabama turkey this year as it was early in the season and there was almost no brush to hide in till I made up a thin screen of cut limbs.
X2 i carry pair of Gerbers, the set i have also came with small saw ... also keep these in my satchel.

BDeal

I always have a pair of florian with me as  well as a small retractable hand saw.  I carry a fanny pack in addition to my vest and keep them there until needed. The hand saw goes in a "holster" on my fanny pack belt.

PharmHunter

grayfox

Always carry a pair. I carry these Mockins. They work great, cheap & when locked closed they won't polk a hole in your vest.

Cowboy

Yep. Carry them most of the time.  Handy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wvdanimal

Never heard of such pansy stuff.... until i experienced Texas!  Almost a necessity where I hunt there, then started using them in Florida.   Palmetto are tuff!  Now, that being said,  no use for them in wv,sd, or ks.

RutnNStrutn

I do. They are just cheapo Wallyworld specials. Never had an issue with them. They lock in the closed position.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

compton30

I work landscape for a living and in my opinion, there is no better hand pruners than those made by Felco. I have a set of F2's in my vest at all times. I realize most people will never pay the price but I've used enough junk pruners to know I won't buy anything else. They are without question the absolute gold standard, hands down.