OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shotgun dipping honest opinions

Started by turkey_slayer, August 21, 2018, 02:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

Would you be happy? Suppose to be mothwing woodland mimicry which is bottom pic but got this. Primer showing thru and didn't tape off inside of action and rust.  Business that has came recommended on this sight

LaLongbeard

I'd send it back. There's no excuse why the aftermarket camo dippers can't do the same quality job as factory original guns. Before sending your gun for dipping call or email them ask them one question: Do you completely strip all old finish off gun or just scuff up the metal and apply primer then dip? I can tell you now I've asked them all most will not reply maybe two will and they will go on for a couple paragraphs about how scuffing the old finish/metal is enough.
There's only one dipper that I know of that blasts the gun metal to bare steel before priming and that is Camo Solutions.
The factory dips bare unfinished parts so should everyone else.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Phillipshunt on August 21, 2018, 03:04:48 PM
I'd send it back. There's no excuse why the aftermarket camo dippers can't do the same quality job as factory original guns. Before sending your gun for dipping call or email them ask them one question: Do you completely strip all old finish off gun or just scuff up the metal and apply primer then dip? I can tell you now I've asked them all most will not reply maybe two will and they will go on for a couple paragraphs about how scuffing the old finish/metal is enough.
There's only one dipper that I know of that blasts the gun metal to bare steel before priming and that is Camo Solutions.
The factory dips bare unfinished parts so should everyone else.
I agree. I did ask actually before I sent em off and he said he blasted them to bare metal. I've NEVER had any luck sending guns off whether to gunsmiths and now dippers. My 22 year factory finish on my Beretta looks better than this and it's been thru heck. Frustrating when you fork out that kinda cash. I sent my buddies gun with mine and he's highly ticked

Sir-diealot

I would send it back for sure, that does not even look good where it is "sticking"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

DrDirtNap

What company did this?  We all need to know.  That doesn't look like quality work to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddyduke

I would send it back! (Unless you could get a refund and send it to someone who takes more pride in their work.)
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

turkey_slayer

No I'm not going to call him out. He contacted me and said to send em back he'd redo them. I'll give him a chance. Mods thread can be deleted

GobbleNut

At first glance, I would say the finished product does not look like the sample and as such, I would be inclined to ask why it is different.  It appears to me to be a different "shade" of the same camo pattern, but clearly does not match the sample.

As for the dipping process itself, like so many other products and businesses in this capitalist system of ours, the old adages of "you get what you pay for" and "let the buyer beware" often apply, especially in long-distance transactions.  It's one thing if you paid for a Cadillac and got a Volkswagon.  It's entirely another if you paid for the Volkswagon and that's what you ended up with. 

The moral of the story is that if you paid for the Volkswagon, that's what you got,...swallow the pill and move on.  If you paid for the Cadillac, then by all means complain to them about it.

captpete

Quote from: GobbleNut on August 21, 2018, 05:02:53 PM
At first glance, I would say the finished product does not look like the sample and as such, I would be inclined to ask why it is different.  It appears to me to be a different "shade" of the same camo pattern, but clearly does not match the sample.

As for the dipping process itself, like so many other products and businesses in this capitalist system of ours, the old adages of "you get what you pay for" and "let the buyer beware" often apply, especially in long-distance transactions.  It's one thing if you paid for a Cadillac and got a Volkswagon.  It's entirely another if you paid for the Volkswagon and that's what you ended up with. 

The moral of the story is that if you paid for the Volkswagon, that's what you got,...swallow the pill and move on.  If you paid for the Cadillac, then by all means complain to them about it.

This is a VERY well thought out reply.  :icon_thumright:

ShootingABN!

He stated the Dipper contacted him and is going to redo it. Good luck on the second time.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: ShootingABN! on August 25, 2018, 04:20:02 PM
He stated the Dipper contacted him and is going to redo it. Good luck on the second time.
X2 Hopefully they will cover shipping also. I'm know that isn't cheap especially paying for it twice.

Turk1

Any of the springs in the Receiver need to be removed
before the Camo dipping process begins because they
will rust and could potentially cause a serious malfunction.

My spring in my safety broke and my 10 gauge went off!!

Furthermore,the  Long Magazine Spring needs removed too. You
must check this area for rust after you get the gun back. My gun
had severe rust issues in the magazine tube area!

Spurs Up

Not to malign Volkswagen as they are neither rusty nor partially painted when leaving the assembly line...

GobbleNut

Quote from: Spurs Up on August 25, 2018, 06:50:21 PM

Not to malign Volkswagen as they are neither rusty nor partially painted when leaving the assembly line...

;D :toothy12:  You are right,....I should have added that disclaimer to my choice of comparables,...but I think everybody got the point I was trying to make,...I hope. :toothy12:
(*Footnote:  "Jethro" and " :happy0064: from WV", I'll explain it to you if you need me to....) :toothy9:

Gamblinman

My concern is for the rust. That weapon needs to be completely disassembled and checked for rust everywhere. He failed to clean, dry and oil before he shipped it back. If he dips it again, how much more rust will it be returned with?

Looks like the base coat was too light in color. A darker shade would have made the detail more brilliant.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."