turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VIDEO TAPING TURKEY HUNTS

Started by macobb, August 21, 2018, 02:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

I am looking this year for a decent camera to video my hunts and hunts with friends. Looking to start out easy and see what I can do. Want to spend less than $509 on the camera. I honestly don't know that much about video cameras but know I want one with the possibility of adding an external mic if I determine I need it to improve the sound. Any tips, ideas are welcome
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Gamblinman

Quote from: macobb on August 21, 2018, 02:43:02 AM
I am looking this year for a decent camera to video my hunts and hunts with friends. Looking to start out easy and see what I can do. Want to spend less than $509 on the camera. I honestly don't know that much about video cameras but know I want one with the possibility of adding an external mic if I determine I need it to improve the sound. Any tips, ideas are welcome
Realistically, its not gonna happen for that amount of money. You will need an external mic, tripod, extra batteries, SD cards, camo, carry bag, etc...

Canon Vixia HF G40 is a really good one. I've seen these on the Canon website reburbished for $599.00
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

GobbleNut

I would suggest taking a look at the cameras/accessories kits on Amazon.  You can get a package deal on a camera and a lot of the basic accessories for well under your budget number.  If you haven't had a video camera or are not familiar with them, you will be amazed at the quality of video you can get with some of the less-expensive cameras nowadays.  True, they don't have all the "bells and whistles" that the more expensive cameras have, but for the average guy that just wants to make some home-movie-type productions, they are more than adequate. 

Honestly, getting good video is more about the guys doing the filming than it is the cost of the camera.  Learning good set-up and videography technique is a key element in getting good video,....hunting video in particular. 

wvmntnhick

Check out the videos on YouTube by leatherwood outdoors. They don't use fancy cams. Small Sony's I believe and the footage is fine for the most part. You can tell it's not high end equipment but they're still fine. Just depends on the quality you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

There are cameras you can get in that price, but the accessories are going to be the difference... my buddy has an inexpensive Samsung Digital Camcorder and works for his use.

Would be hard for me to recomend a specific camera at your price point as I have no expierence with those. We us Canon Vixia G30 and XA30 for main cameras.

I could go into features I like but i think this would be above price point specified...

MK M GOBL